The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's build a zipline!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:43 pm 
UW Climber

Like the title says, let's build a zip line! I've done it before and I have all the gear needed, although my static rope is only 230 ft, if anyone has a longer static rope (preferably polyester over nylon) we'd be able to make a longer zip line! I'd prefer to go out with a group of people, as it's a good amount of work to get the zip line built and funner if there are a bunch of people to enjoy it!

I also don't know the area, so not sure where the best place to build one would be. About 20 feet of drop per 100 feet is ideal, so including extra rope for knots with my rope I can do about a 200 ft zipline. Ideally I'd need an area with a 40 ft heigh and a 200 ft horizontal run, with anchors on both sides. Trees make for a great bottom anchor, the top anchor could be a tree or cliff, but I don't have the right equipment to climb the coniferous trees of the pacific northwest, the branches on the pines are too thin to loop a rope around, so if top anchor is gonna be a tree it should be a tree with some pretty big top limbs that would be good to throw a rope over. Bottom anchor could also be an opposing cliff face.

Additionally, I'd love to build a giant rope swing as well! If there are two facing cliffs, or two treetops we can rig, we can create an artificial anchor out in the middle of thin air for the rope swing.

Let me know if you're up for it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:07 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested in finding good spots to rig highlines in the Seattle area. I think the requirements for a good highline are pretty similar to what you describe, except that the two anchors should be level. Anyway, it sounds like we might be interested in similar locations. I'd be down to try a zipline, and I'm even more interested in a big rope swing.

As far as locations, I think there may be something in Index, near the Inner Town Wall. Access is a little tricky for that one, in that you'd need to climb beyond the normal routes into steep trees. I'm going to look into it more closely, but it might be more trouble than it is worth.

More promising I think is Vantage. There are a couple nice gaps there. Maybe you could zipline down from Agatha tower?

Another idea I have that is completely speculative since I have never been there myself is Banks lake. I know there is climbing that you can do out of a boat on rocky islands in the lake. I have this image that you could have a long slackline between two islands with a fall into deep water. I have no idea if such islands exist, but it would be amazing if they did. I imagine a zipline could work somewhere there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 am 
UW Climber

Want to head on out towards Index just to do some scouting and check it out? In case Town Wall doesn't pan out, I also know there are quite a number of cliffs not used by climbers on the trail to Lake Serene - perhaps a good location can be scouted there, and it's not all that far, at least not as far as Vantage, but of Index doesn't pan out I'd be up to head out to vantage.

I PM'd you my phone Ben, give me a call.