The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:06 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Hello all,

Nate Johnson, Kaeli and I are looking for 1-2 more to join us for a day at Middle East Wall at Vantage. The wall is packed with 5.10-11 trad climbs of reportedly better quality than Sunshine Wall. I haven't been here yet as it is shaded most of the day and I tend to only go to Vantage in the early or late season. Saturday looks perfect for this place though. Kaeli will be driving down for Sat only and can likely drive 1-2 more. Nate and I are staying for the weekend. You are also welcome to stay for the weekend, but we might move on to Tieton multipitch on Sunday. Let me know if you want to join us!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:59 am 
UW Climber

Sounds fun! I might join ya'll if my other (weather-dependent) plans fall apart.

Last edited by Heather Whitney on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:32 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

I think that we are looking at a total repeat of last weekend, so I'll probably see you out there for more climbing! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 pm 
UW Climber

Lol... You are probably correct, and i may end up cragging again. I wouldnt mind hitting up royal columns and leading a bunch of easier (5.7 to 5.8 range) stuff. But TRing whatever gems you put up at the middle east wall also sounds like a fun adventure. And i can bring my kitchen box! French toast?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:40 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in for Saturday...probably for Sunday as well, but I'll have to see about that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:07 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Ok, so this is sounding awesome. I can drive and take Heather, Nate and Jon (if you guys stay two days) otherwise I'll see if Kaeli can give you a ride for Sat only. I'll also bring pasta, veggies and sauce for dinner and whip cream for the french toast. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 pm 
UW Climber

sorry, Val, I think I will keep things mellow and stay in town this weekend. Have fun at Vantage! I will bring my kitchen box on some other trip, and we will have our french toast with whipped cream.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am 
UW Climber

Hey a friend and I were interested in getting out this weekend. I would be super down for middle east wall. I've had my eye on desert dessert for a long time, and it's all bolted so I will be able to lead it haha. I think my friend and I would both be down to TR some trad lines, too though. I'm not sure if my friend would be up for both days, but I sure would. Depending on the situation, I might wanna get a ride with you Val, since it seems like Heather isn't going. If need be, I can drive my friend and I as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Sounds great Carl. And yep, you can get a ride out there with me. We can surely use your sport leading skills. Next to every great crack is an equally good looking face climb and vice versa.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm 
UW Climber

my copy of the online guidebook says mid east is closed for nesting may1-aug1...
sunshine wall looks ok for saturday, probably a bit hot (high 76) on sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:59 pm 
UW Climber

I can only go for Saturday. Lisa has a recital on Sunday and I'd like to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
UW Climber

screw it val, lets go hunt new lines in leavenworth. it's only 20% chance of rain. we could hike and rap some stuff to see if it'll go and climb things on sunday! thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 pm 
UW Climber

Nate, which online guidebook to vantage are you using? I didn't even know that there were falcon closures at vantage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

As far as I can tell, there have been bird closures there before (and perhaps this is outdated info in the old online guide?). My newer guide mentions nothing about bird closures and online forums (such as the WCC) mention past bird closures but not current closures. I'll go to Sunshine if there's a sign out, but doubt that this will be a problem. If anyone has any updated info on this, let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 am 
UW Climber

i hope you're right val.
i'll talk to you tonight. gotta make up my mind: vantage or leavenworth?