[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Sunday March 18 Frenchman Coulee / Vantage

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:33 pm 
UW Climber

Weather forecast for Sunday [and Monday] at Frenchman Coulee [ Vantage ] looks delicious.

sunny and 50F

Last weekend was open to all with a belay device and good belay skills. This Sunday will focus on top roping 5.10 and some 5.11 sport routes.

The primary meet up we'll meet at Safeway in North Bend at Exit 31, at 6:50am. Yep, early. And we'll leave at 7:00am sharp. If you plan to go inside the store for coffee, bathrooms, or shop for lunch then please arrange to arrive at 6:30am, please don't make the group late.

Form carpools at North Bend Safeway and enjoy the sunshine of eastern washington for a single day of climbing, Sunday.

If there are others that would like to spend the night Sunday and climb on Monday as well then we can see how that might work. We'll see how overnight plans shape up if people post interest.

I am interested in camping Sunday night and climbing again on Monday.

I'll let individuals form a meet up in Seattle and that should occur at least 45 minutes before the North Bend Safeway time. Please don't be late.

Let me know if you're interested in Sunday!!!!! post up!

Dave.

Last edited by David Yount on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 am 
UW Climber

Hi, I usually top rope 5.8-5.9, maybe 5.10. I am cool with camping overnight. I have personal gear but not a rope/quickdraws. Also, can we meet later, since I live in Redmond.

Yinghua

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:52 am 
Raging Alpoholic

I'm on vacation now, but this is exactly the type of trip I would like to do when I get back. I've been looking at Middle East Wall routes lately. I've never climbed there yet. Have you ever tried top-roping there? It looks like there are a ton of good 5.11 crack routes, but I'm not sure if you can reach the anchors from above. Anyway, regardless of which wall you head out to, this is a great idea. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:41 am 
UW Climber

Yinghua, is 8:00am better for you to meet at Safeway in North Bend? There will be plenty of ropes and quickdraws, it is fine if you don't have those. We'll set up plenty of top ropes at 5.8 and 5.9, and if you want to do some more leading or learn how to lead, that is on option too!

Val, Jigsaw Wall is my main interest for these 2 days, but we'll get on routes on several other walls as well. When the temps increase then Middle East will come into season. It faces north so it's shady murder until the temps are closer to 60F. Middle East as well as the crags below Middle East (The Dungeon, Postal Wall, and Sancturary) are subject to seasonal closure for nesting raptors - though, I forget when that potential closure is. The rock on Middle East Wall is among some of the very finest at the 'Coulee. There are engaging bolted routes and excellent crack routes. All sport routes do have 2 bolts on the face for anchors. Some trad lines also have 2 bolts on the face for anchors. Some trad lines can link up with the anchors of a neighboring sport route. Most trad lines require the leader to top out and belay from the plateau. Most any trad line can be top roped by building an anchor on the plateau and extending webbing or static rope over the top lip.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:21 pm 
UW Climber

Safeway at North Bend, Exit 31, meeting at 6:50am and leaving 7:00am sharp.

Single day of fun, so we're beginning early to stretch out the day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:52 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested in going. I'll be bringing a bunch of my own gear. Lisa needs the car for a mtn. bike race, so it would be nice to team up with someone from Seattle to get out to N Bend. Anyone going? Give me a call at 267-304-3488 to set things up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 pm 
UW Climber

Is anyone able to provide a carpool from Seattle? Give me a call.

Yinghua
425-246-9568

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 pm 
UW Climber

If anybody's missing any gear from this weekend I ended up with two draws and a carabiner that aren't mine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm 
UW Climber

Sam, those may be mine. I'll go check my gear tonight.