The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:22 pm 
Moss Man

Supposing the weather forecast is better next weekend than this (and the long-range mm5 appears distantly hopeful...), I propose a nice alpine scramble as an overnight. I am looking for at least another partner or two, but most of these would work for a larger group as well, should a lot of the regulars here like to join in.

I have a few options. All are pretty scrambly and off-trail from the get-go, with a direct climb/bushwhack to alpine, where one or more summits await...

Davis Peak: (North cascades) 4000' gain through open forest to alpine directly from the skagit gorge, then snow-camp, then a nice airy 2000' ridge walk and somewhat techinical (class 4) scramble to the top. This is the most strenuous option I have, but I have the approach route is pretty well dialed in and direct. This is my first choice given decent weather.

Goldenhorn or Tower Mtn, via Shoulder of Hardy: (North Cascades) Rather than take the PCT (10 miles one way), Try the direct off-trail approach via the shoulder of Mt. Hardy. About 3000' climb to alpine for a camp. Options: Summits of Hardy and Golden Horn are class 4, Tower is a more class 5.

Knob-bagging along the Quilcene: (Olympics). Run ridge roughly north of the Marmot Pass Trail (possibly use the trail as a short loop). About 2000' to alpine, and mostly snow-free. A little more mellow trip than the other two options but still off the beaten track...

Trip requirements: Ice Axe, Helmet, Crampons + reasonable stamina for off-trail travel with an overnight pack.

I will be glad to organize one carpool - do I have any takers?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:04 pm 
The 11th Essential

Hi Kevin, I get in Thursday if all goes as planned. I'd be interested if in the next few days I determine I can afford the time. Of those three options, Goldenhorn / Tower is the most appealing to me as I've never been into that area.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:07 am 
Moss Man

Yes, the Goldenhorn area is the focal point on the N3C american alps list, if you are still involved in that project for photos? Keep me posted...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:56 pm 
UW Climber

Hey Kevin,

Keep me updated on what you decide to do this wknd. I'm definitely looking to get out. PM'd you w/contact info.

Have done GH/Tower, can give good beta on those.

Golden Horn has a final class 4 move at the top, we roped it and rapped off. Otherwise mostly class 2.

Summit of Tower is class 3. Go to the low point on the right-hand (SE) ridge (coming from upper Snowy Lake) and follow the ridge up.

Hardy as far as I know is also class 3 at most, no rope needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 pm 
Moss Man

The weekend continues to look dry (and sunny too!), so we'll be leaving u-dist saturday morning, with a return sunday, flexible on the exact timing details but probably not too late.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Hey Kevin,

Nathan and I are considering west McMillan Spire for this weekend. Does that interest you? Or maybe we can join you trip. Let me know what you end up doing.