The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm 
Moss Man

I am curious to try this one, but its a bit of a beast for an approach, a 6000' scramble from hwy 20, straight up to the summit with no trail.

Some of you have done this, but I am most curious about trying it from the Gorge Creek overlook as a start (as opposed to the scramble route from Diablo, or the direct technical climb from stetattle creek).

Looks like two options, follow the creek, a narrow margin between brush and water (may be best late season or winter option), or go straight up the slope following *mostly* open dry forest and rock outcrops. This may require routefinding and more scrambling around steeper cliffbands, but minimizes the brush and water features.

An overnight bivy on top would be nice, but I would also be up for a 'scouting' daytrip of the lower 4000'.

If you are interested for a particular timeframe (I generally have weekends available), or have advice on this route, keep me posted -

- Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 pm 
Moss Man

Last saturday with a partner, I tried out this route, from Gorge Creek to snowline. Turns out we met another party heading up also for an overnight, with the advice, 'stay left of the big slab'. Good advice, through the slab will sneak up on you, tempting you further right into steepening terrain, featureless except for a thick carpet of moss. The other party opted to continue up and to the right, despite their original advice, which necessitated some ropework.

We regrouped, descended, and scouted further left, and found an appealing line through the mossy slabs, with no more than class 2 exposure between tree islands. We made it quickly to timberline, where the grade mellows at 4500, then a short heather/krumholz zone to 5000, open terrain after that (and plenty of snow). An intermittent faint boot track is spotty in places and a few cairns were spotted, though little of the route is evident from the road. I now have a gps track of the line, which should help navigating the easy way through the slabs, and around a few other cliffbands. Great news is that there is no brush-bashing on this route, just the typical salal understory like other routes in the area.

I am definitely still down for an overnight and summit scramble, anyone else? :D

p.s. if anyone is inclined, I can post the gps track...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:46 pm 
UW Climber

Here's a TR:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopi ... ight=davis