[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Snow School 2011

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow School 2011
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:07 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

If you've thought about climbing Mount Rainier or climbing other glaciated peaks and you have not practiced rescues yet this season, you should come to snow school.

Image Image

What:
We are headed up to Paradise on Mount Rainier to practice crevasse rescue skills. We will spend some time practicing self arrest (conditions permitting). I will demonstrate snow anchors and crevasse rescue including z-pulley construction. We'll spend the afternoon in small groups (rope teams) doing crevasse fall simulations including practicing how to build a z-pulley system and haul someone out of a crevasse. If there's time and interest at the end of the day, we'll set up some fixed lines and practice prussiking.

Where:
Burke Museum (we will drive any extra cars to the Park and Ride at 65th)

When:
Saturday, May 7
You should arrive at the Burke Museum at 6:45 AM
Plan on leaving promptly at 7 AM and returning that evening (8 PM or later depending of if your car stops for dinner).

Cost:
Drivers and passengers will be responsible for splitting the cost of gas and the park entrance fee ($15).

Experience: None required.
However you MUST attend the on Wed (4/27) or get permission from me.

How do I join the trip? Post to this thread with the following information:
1. If you are coming as an experienced or learner.
2. If you can drive and how many people you can transport.
3. If you need any personal gear. (You are responsible for buying/borrowing/renting any personal gear you do not yet own)
4. What group gear you can contribute.
5. Your experience level with glaciers and crevasse rescue.

NOTE: The total number of spaces available will depend on the number of experienced folks who agree to help out.

Personal Gear: We will be playing in the snow all day, so dress appropriately.
Warm clothes including waterproof outer layers (cotton is not appropriate)
Sun protection (sun block and sun glasses)
food for the day
water
Harness
2 prusiks (foot prusik construction is covered )
2 locking biners
4 non-locking biners
ice ax you can borrow one from the IMA
helmet you can borrow one from the IMA
belay device (optional)

Group Gear: Each rope team needs the following (minimum):
2 pickets
2 long slings
1 rope (the club will bring ropes, but we might need a few extra depending on the number of rope teams)
cordellette or long slings
2 pulleys (optional)

I will update this post on Friday afternoon with rope teams and cars.

================Signed up=================
Bold = Experienced

Jim Prager
Melissa
Becky Abbey
David
Jochen

BrianDoehle
Erin SP
Zdenek
tanya

Craig Weiland
Shelly Arreguin
Kevin Strong
Aubrey Goldsmith

Ian Darrington
Alex Khramov
Laszlo
BenPS
Jenny

Jonathan Toner
Grant
Cori
benjaminrutz

Carolina
Wendy Everett
Rodrigo
Abraham Wang

================Carpools=================
Bold = Driver

BrianDoehle
Jim
Jenny
Cori

Craig Weiland

Wendy Everett
Rodrigo
Abraham Wang

Aubrey Goldsmith
Carolina
Jonathan Toner
Zdenek

Ian Darrington
Becky Abbey
David

Jochen
Erin SP
Alex Khramov

Laszlo
Shelly Arreguin
Kevin Strong

BenPS
Grant
benjaminrutz
tanya

Last edited by Jim Prager on Fri May 06, 2011 10:53 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Snow School 2011
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

Melissa and I are coming to Snow School.

1. Experienced and learner
2. I can drive and have room for Melissa and I +2.
3. We do not need personal gear.
4. I can contribute everything for my rope team.
5. I have extensive experience on glaciated peaks in the NW, Canada and Peru. I have taught crevasse rescue many times before.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:04 pm 
Frodo

I will be joining.

1. Learner
2. :(
3. I'll come prepared
4. Good cheer
5. This is a beginning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:11 pm 
UW Climber

1. Learner, I've done some snow climbing and know how to do self arrest, but wanna learn glacier climbing skills.
2. I can drive and have room for 2-3 people.
3. I have harness, ice ax, helmet and belay device, need to rent/buy locking biners and non-locking biners.
4. I would like to join Jim's rope team, but have a rope to borrow.
5. None.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:45 pm 
Alpine Slogger

Me+Snow school = Yes

1. Experienced
2. Drive +3 and gear
3. All gear necessary
4. 2 ropes, 1 picket, 1 pulley, slings, cord, etc.
5. I have experience climbing on glaciated peaks in the NW, have taught crevasse rescue before, and lead an "advanced snow school" on Mt. Baker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:21 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

1. I've got some experience
2. Drive + 3.
3. I've got personal gear
4. I've got enough for one group setup, except I only have 1 pulley
5. I did this last year

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:59 pm 
UW Climber

Sounds awesome!!

1. Learner
2. I can drive and have room for 3 more.
3. Have my own gear.
4. Have one rope but no other group gear.
5. I have no glacier travel experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 pm 
UW Climber

1. Experienced
2. No car
3. Have all personal gear
4. Can contribute rope & cordellette
5. Traveled/climbed on numerous glaciers (Cascades/Alps/India), but have never needed to use rescue skills (always in need of practice!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 am 
UW Climber

1: Learner.
2: Can drive. (Edit: Will a Honda Civic make it where we need to go? Assuming so I can take Grant + 2 others).
3: I have the necessary personal gear.
4: I could bring a rope.
5: I've climbed on snow and ice in New Hampshire and in Peru, and have had a little instruction on crevasse rescue. I won't be starting from zero knowledge, but I don't I know enough to teach others yet.

Ben

Last edited by BenPS on Thu May 05, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:33 am 
giving spoon

Me + Snow School + Mother's Day Weekend = 1/0

Sorry I can't make it this year as Snow School has returned to its traditional weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:01 am 
UW Climber

I would definitely like to come.

1)learner
2)I will carpool with Ben
3)I have a harness, belay device, helmet, and necessary clothes. I will purchase rope for prussiks and 'biners this weekend and will have them for the trip but will not have them in time for class tomorrow. I will need to borrow an ice ax.
4) I don't have any group gear.
5) I have no real glacial experience.

Can't wait to learn!
Grant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:06 pm 
UW Climber

My boyfriend (Kevin) and I would like to join y'all at snow school on May 7th!

1) We will be coming as learners
2) We would Prefer to carpool, but if need an additional car, we have a nissan and can drive
3) We will need to rent ice axes, should have all other gear needed, I assume my caving harness will be fine for learning?
4) I have two pulleys to use towards the group gear
5) I went to snow school a couple years ago, but have no glacier travel experience

I am excited for the 7th, see all y'all tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:07 pm 
UW Climber

Hi! I am super excited for this trip!!

1. learner
2. I can drive + 3 others
3. I have all personal gear needed
4. long slings and my climbing rope
5. I have done some glacier travel, bit nothing requiring roping up. I know how to self-arrest and have practiced the z-pulley before but definitely need a refresher!

- Becky Abbey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 pm 
UW Climber

1. I wouldn't call myself experienced but if you need more teachers I'm willing to give it a go.
2. I can drive me + 3.
3. Got it.
4. I can contribute 1 picket and a couple slings.
5. I have climbed a couple of glaciated peaks in the cascades.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 pm 
Rodrigo

I'm in.

1. I'm here to learn.
2. I'm riding with Craig (or maybe he's riding with me). Still need to sort that out.
3. Done and done.
4. I can bring a few slings or something but I don't have too much stuff.
5. Experience...none.