The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outdoor adventure
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:16 am 
UW Climber

Is anyone up for a hiking trip to the olympic mountains? I have heard that there is a beautiful rainforest there... I would also be in for any other outdoor adventure in the snow in the mountains or so...

Post subject: Re: Outdoor adventure
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:06 pm 
UW Climber

I cant join this weekend, but if you do end up heading out to the Olympics, I highly recommend the Ozete triangle ( 9 miles, mostly flat). Not really old growth, but its easy and you get a good view of the ocean. If you're looking for something more intense with spectacular views, the high divide loop is great (about 22 miles, probably 5,000 ft elevation gain). If you are in search of old growth forest, the hike up to the enchanted valley is amazing as well; true, mature old growth forests (this one is quite long, but pretty flat as well).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 pm 
UW Climber

Hi Sarah,
Would you be interested in going x-country skiing on Saturday or Sunday? Others are welcome to join too.
Ruth

Last edited by Ruth Wilson on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:50 pm 
stick clip

I totally second Kurt's opinion on the high divide loop - I grew up in the Olympics and that is one of my favorite trails to this very day. However at this time of year it'll obviously be snowed in, so it would be more of a mountaineering venture than a simple hike.

As for the Hoh Rainforest, it is an incredible place, but I think this would not be a wise weekend to visit due to the large quantities of snow my parents have reported on the peninsula and the implications they would have on making the drive on some pretty windy narrow roads (actually, the same goes for the high divide trailhead).

I can't go this weekend, but I'd love to go back to my old stomping grounds in the near future!

I hope you can get out somewhere this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 pm 
UW Climber

Thanks for the hints!!! However, I am a little bit afraid, is it a dangerous during this time then? So the roads will be dangerous then? Is it probably better to go another weekend?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 pm 
stick clip

It's not that the roads are totally impassable, but there are several sections of road that I would be reluctant to drive right now. There was a fatality earlier this week on Highway 101 between Sequim and Port Angeles, and from Lake Crescent out to Forks the road winds and people tend to drive too fast for the conditions (especially snow). You definitely could make the trip, but I would wait for a weekend with bare roads. Why risk it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:50 pm 
UW Climber

Thanks for your hints!!!! I definitely don't want to risk anything... Your are totally right, I didn't know that. I will go another weekend:)