[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Bainbridge Island Winery Bike Tour 4/11/10

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Hey,
It looks like several Bainbridge Island Wineries have agreed to be open for tastings this weekend. I am working on a plan to bike around the island and hit many of these wineries along the way. I am also working on real work, so I haven't had time to figure out the full plan (I'll have something better tomorrow to update here after I'm done with lab meeting :) ). Is anyone else interested in a bike tour this weekend?

Here's a map of the wineries on Bainbridge: http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&m ... 20256&z=12

I think that at least 6 of them will have tastings available on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:24 am 
Tenacious Lee

I would totally come if the WFR course wasn't this weekend, have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 pm 
UW Climber

Lisa and I will both come, she was already planning on a training day out there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:03 pm 
UW Climber

Yep, we'll be there! I am skipping the race weekend, and need to ride in a new place (can only do the South end of Lake Washington + Mercer Island so many times..)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 pm 
UW Climber

INTERESTED. Particularly since it's Sunday :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

OK, I've put together a list of 7 wineries and a tentative plan.
Let's meet up at the gas works hill at 9:40 so that we can catch an 10:35 ferry over to the island.
I'm assuming that westlake is a decent bike route to downtown and that is enough time....

From the ferry terminal we have 3 options for tasting rooms:
Eleven Winery, Eagle Harbor Wine Company, and Victor Alexander Winery
I'm thinking try one or two, and save one for the return trip.

After this, the rest of the trip makes a nice counter-clockwise loop.

~3 miles brings us to Rolling Bay
~1.5 more miles brings us to Bainbridge Island Vineyard and Winery with a 2pm tour!
~0.5 more miles and we have Perennial Vinters
~2.5 more miles to Eleven Winery
*option for longer side trip ride to Fay Bainbridge State Park and waterfront biking
*option for longer side trip ride to Battle Point Park
~4 more miles to Fletcher Bay Winery
*option for ride to soutern shores of the island
~4 more miles to Ferry (maybe a last tasting room if we're still up for it)

What do you guys think?
Does anyone know that best way to get from around UW area to the ferry terminal by bike?
**EDIT** Also, I'm up for an earier ferry over to so that we can get in some more biking before the tasting. Yep. Let's get in an hour of real biking before we hit the wine! 9:40 at gas works.
See you all Sunday!

Last edited by Valerie Wall on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:05 pm 
UW Climber

Ah, sounds awesome, thanks for the invite Val. I'm heading out on a bike tour on Whidbey Island this weekend though! Drink an extra glass for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:48 am 
UW Climber

hey valerie, thanks for the heads up on this, I might try and get out there this weekend as well! Molly and I are on a pretty tight schedule sunday so we might not join the group but we may run into you somewhere along the way. As far as biking to the ferry terminal - I would imagine that if you're gonna go on the west side of lake union, going on dexter instead of westlake might be slightly better because there is a bike lane the whole way to downtown. then you want to weave to alaskan and there is a path along the water straight to the ferry terminal. Thanks to the kind folks at Google, it's now possible to get bicycling directions: http://bit.ly/aHzq3T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 pm 
UW Climber

The only way I've tried was via Ballard, over the locks (you have to push your bike there), then most of the way along some bike trail. Don't remember where the trail starts, but I could look at my bike map. That way you get to the waterfront somewhere behind Seattle Center and can go south from there to the ferries.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:22 pm 
UW Climber

I will be meeting you all at the ferry dock! See you Sunday. Thanks for organizing Val!