The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Minute I-90 plan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 pm 
UW Climber

This weekend is suppose to be fairly nice, especially on Saturday, so i want to get out and do something. I was thinking somewhere along I-90 since its a lot closer and easier to get to. I'm currently looking into trails and more accurate weather forecasts so i'll probably update this post later tonight. But anyway, anyone interested in coming along? I can possibly figure out a means of getting there but that info will be part of the updating post. If you have any suggestions for a first-time trip planner too, let me know.

Saturday, I-90, somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 pm 
UW Climber

I am totally down to do something in the afternoon, possibly something to watch the sunset if you don't mind hiking out in the dark. The conditions are still like winter but dry, so very little brush. I stumbled/fell down Mt. Baring a couple weeks ago off-trail in the dark, and there was so little brush or vegetation that it was the easiest bushwhack ever, even in the dark.

Sun sets at 6 tomorrow, I am supposed to have practice with a band tomorrow morning, but if hiking is taking place then it takes precedence and I can skip practice. There are plenty of cool areas up by i-90 that are less travelled, here are a couple of my favs:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ak-p3.html
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... almie.html
And Chair has foiled my efforts twice. It's still in snow (Granite would be too), but if you have an ice axe it's a super short hike to get up the the ascent. I would check avalanche conditions, though it should be pretty packed down
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html

Let me know what you decide, I believe you have my number but just in case it's 425-773-8636

- Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:44 am 
UW Climber

In case anyone else is interested, Mount Defiance is the destination. Possibly also going to Putrid Pete's Peak which looks like a pretty fun scramble.
Have one car so can fit up to 3 more people. Going with little gear which merely includes, boots, warm clothes, food, water, maybe waterproof stuff, and a pack to carry it all.
I've never lead a trip or navigated in the field before but thats what i'll be doing tomorrow by the way.
Planning to wake up around 7:30-8 to get to REI at 9 to pick up forest passes so if you wanna join last minute, give me a call in that time interval and we'll discuss.
okay Tschuss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:38 pm 
UW Climber

Oh! Devastated that I only read this now! Hope you had an awesome time and if there are plans to do any more outdoorsy things in the next two weeks, I'm in like Flynn.