The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:25 pm 
UW Climber

So, since I don't have any spring break plans yet and I'm not much of a skier, I thought I would see if anyone was interested in a multi-day hike/snowshoe back-country camping trip. No technical climbs, but some peak bagging with an ice ax/easy scramble is fine by me. No concrete plans yet, but I was thinking some sort of loop trail in the Olympics. I was thinking about 10+ miles a day, not too crazy nor too lazy. Participants would need winter clothing, good shelter systems, and a desire to spend a few days our of touch with civilization.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm 
UW Climber

absolutely. i was actually just checking the forum to suggest this myself. i have a car and room for a couple extra people to join in, too.

i was thinking of going out to the peninsula since i've never done any backpacking there, but don't know what would be the best for late march. any suggestions? i'm up for whatever, i just want to get out for a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:48 pm 
UW Climber

Yeah, I'm not really sure whats a good hike this time of year...its my first year in the northwest. Does anyone have any good ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

I've actually only been to the Olympics twice (and one of those trips was with my parents up to Hurricane Ridge), but I'd expect the weather to be somewhat hit or miss - might be great, might rain a lot.

I'm sure others can chime in with suggestions, but one trip that's pretty rewarding is to do a section of the coast. Have to work out the tide tables and do a bit of scrambling over headlands, but I've heard good things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 pm 
UW Climber

We could do something in the forest/mountains like deer park/hurricane ridge or seven lakes. something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:33 am 
UW Climber

I unfortunately won't get a spring break, so I can't join you, but I can confirm that the coast is awesome. Extremely pleasant backpacking, and the occasional headland is just enough of a climb to make you feel like you're doing something much more badass.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:23 am 
UW Climber

the beach does sound nice, but i'd like to be up in the mountains climbing a bit, too. aaand maybe see some old-growth. is there a route (or can we make a route) that hits both? after a brief search for multiple day backpacking routes i only found the seven lakes one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 am 
UW Climber

We could conceivably come up with a one or two night route through the forest, and then drive over to the coast and spend a night there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 pm 
UW Climber

what about tackling the olympics part of the pacific northwest trail? http://www.pnt.org/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 pm 
UW Climber

Yeah, that sounds cool to me. Where would we start/finish do you think?
We could start at the hoh river area and do a loop through seven lakes and bogachiel. Then we could go spend a night at hoh head.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm 
UW Climber

I would definitely be interested. I should have all the required gear but I need a ride.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:14 pm 
UW Climber

So, heres a moderately thought out plan for your comments:

We could start at the hoh-river trailhead in the rainforest. (Lowlands so they will be very very wet, but passable). From there we could spend a night around the olympus rangers station (about 10 miles). From there we could, depending on the weather look to get to glacier meadows at the foot of olympus and/or take the hoh-lake trail into seven-lakes basin. Either of these would require snowshoes and ice-ax. We could then look towards sol-duc or the high divide, come back the way we came or try for the longer(~28 miles) route following the bogachiel river and back to where we started(part of the Pacific-Northwest).

If we wanted to do the coast as well, given only four or five days, we would have to go back to the car and pick up another seperate trailhead nearer the coast(I'm totally ok with that)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:18 pm 
UW Climber

We would need bear canisters (I have one which would be fine for six person-days of food), and I think we can rent some.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:35 pm 
UW Climber

So, I'm bored and can't keep my mouth shut. Another option is to leave on a trailhead nearer to port angeles, which would cut the driving down to 2.5 hours instead of 5. From there we could do the elwha river trail to hayden pass or take appleton pass into the seven lakes basin from the other side. The issue here is that moving through appleton pass will depend on favorable avalanche conditions and skillful route finding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:23 pm 
UW Climber

both of those sound pretty sweet. if someone else has a car we could also have a drop off point at the hoh entrance and hike through from port angeles entrance- cover more ground, see more sights? yes?

i have no idea how long that trek would be, in addition to extra gas money to get another car out, but i thought i'd mention it.