[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Spring Break (3/20-28) Backcountry Ski Trip -- Canada Hut

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:56 pm 
Burly Skinner

For those of you that don't know, over the past couple years members of the club have spent some of their spring break skiing in Canada. Last year the trip ended up falling through due to heinous avalanche conditions. However, the year before the trip was a great success. The trip report can be found .

Last year Ian planned the trip (thanks Ian!). Unfortunately, this year nobody has stepped up... so apparently I'm going to get the ball rolling, but since I have never attended, I'd gladly pass organizing off to somebody else...

If you're interested read through last year's thread . Then, if you are tentatively interested in coming please post the following:
1) When you're interested (beginning, middle, end, or entire time)
2) If you'd plan to ski, which is recommended, or snowshoe.
3) Knowledge of back country skiing, safe travel, avalanches.
4) If you have a preference of huts. Last year the club planned to go to the because trip participants had been to the .
5) Interest in climbing vs skiing.
6) Can you drive and how many additional passengers could you take.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm 
Burly Skinner

I'm Nathan. I'd like to shred gnar in another country with fellow UWCCers.

1) I'd like to go anytime and stay until whenever.
2) Ski
3) Some knowledge and experience. Nothing major
4) No preference
5) Primarily skiing, but I could be convinced to bag a peak
6) No car

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:26 pm 
giving spoon

I'd like to go, but I'm a big maybe.

1) beginning or end (3-4 days)
2) Ski
3) Some knowledge and experience. I lean towards the cautious in Avy areas.
4/5) From what I just saw up there I think that it is VERY unlikely that Garibaldi Lake is frozen over, you may want to keep this in mind when selecting a local. I'm in for ski mountaineering. Principal interests are: Atwell Peak (serious climb), Cayley (beautiful mountain), Wedge, Spearhead Traverse, Garibaldi, Joffre Group. Come to think of it, most of my objectives don't have much to do with huts.
6) Could have a car but prefer not. Can drive 3 total.

Last edited by Chris Moorehead on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:30 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

Sounds great.

1)I likely would only be able to to 3-5 days at the beginning. I need to be in Portland on the 25th to visit some friends.
2)Ski
3)Some knowledge. Want more
4)no preference
5)Peaks with skiing!
6)Have car, can probably take 3 others

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:16 pm 
UW Climber

I'd like to shred hella n' stuff in Canada

1. Undecided- could probably stay out until "whenever"
2. Ski
3. Some experience and training- not going to lead through avy terrain
4. No strong preference
5. Little of each, primarily skiing though
6. Have a car- with skis, can only take 2 passengers comfortably- not quite ideal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 am 
UW Climber

1) When you're interested (beginning, middle, end, or entire time)
2) If you'd plan to ski, which is recommended, or snowshoe.
3) Knowledge of back country skiing, safe travel, avalanches.
4) If you have a preference of huts. Last year the club planned to go to the Burton Hut because trip participants had been to the Elfin Lakes Hut.
5) Interest in climbing vs skiing.
6) Can you drive and how many additional passengers could you take.

1) i'd like the end
2) ski or snowshoe, prefer ski
3) Basic avalanche awareness, i ski sidecountry/backcountry with some frequency around stevenzz pass
4) no preference (knowledge?)
5) I'd be down to climb some business
6) no whip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 pm 
UW Climber

1. I'd be interested in attending the starting weekend of this trip.
2. Snowshoe/to snowboard
3. not particularly
4. nope
5. climbing would be awesome
6. likely need to be a passenger in a carpool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

I'm interested.
1) I ain't got nowheres to being. Translates - whenever
2) SKI
3) I know a little bit about a little bit.
4) Its all Greek to me.
5) I'm slow and lazy. Peaks aren't all that important to me.
6) I can drive and take 3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

It is now likely I cannot be a part of this unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:51 pm 
UW Climber

Just a warning- I'm going to give myself a 5% chance of being able to do this... Just saw a doctor about my ski issues that aren't fixing themselves and the short version is: I'm not screwing anything up permanently, nor am I giving anything time to heal. I can try one trick (before spring break) and if I still can't make it more than half a day without being in pain, a multi-day adventure would not be wise...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:48 pm 
receiving spoon

Potentially interested...

Specifics will follow shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:22 pm 
Burly Skinner

Dave, Will, Chris, Jackie, and potentially Lucas (Aaron and Craig),

The way I read, Will wants to go at the end, Jackie wants the beginning, Chris wants either the beginning or the end, and Dave and I are open to anything. I've heard informal whispers that one or two people may jump on a 3 day weekend type trip either at the beginning or the end as well. So we need to open a little dialog about when exactly this is going to occur and if any of us (Dave?) want to go for the entire week.

As it stands now we have Dave +3 and a potential additional car with Chris.

I'm thinking we'll head to the Elfin hut to avoid Chris' beta on lake freezing issues (anybody have any other beta on this?).

Although I think starting an email thread would be more efficient, I'm trying to keep this on the forum so other members can see what we're up to and join if interesting. Anybody have more updated or concrete thoughts/plans on when you would like to go ski?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

I'm probably a no go.
Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:17 pm 
giving spoon

My lean is latter half of the week, but I may be able to make the first weekend go.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:30 pm 
UW Climber

i will be in anapolis till wednesday night the 24th so i'm free directly after that.

-will