The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:32 pm 
UW Climber

Hey everyone!

I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure out how to load a profile pic, but I'm new to town and super keen to do something for the long-weekend. I've got almost no gear apart from a sleeping bag, but I was hoping to take in some of the incredible nature around Seattle. . . I'm also super interested in camping in the Makah Reservation. If anyone's got any suggestions, or is interested in checking something out, lemme know!

Cheers,
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:15 pm 
Longshanks

I guess that depends on what you mean by "epic". Hiking, scrambling, climbing, :drink2: ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:41 pm 
UW Climber

Pretty sure they've made camping on the Makah reservation illegal... or at least expensive. But the surfing there tends to be fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
UW Climber

Hi all!

And thanks for the suggestions! Shi Shi beach sounds incredible- I come from Newfoundland, Canada, where rainy weather is the only weather, so hopefully I'll be able to withstand the dampness. I will be sure to make sure it's still legal, first- good to know!

Some friends are suggesting a 2-day car camping trip, as well- if anyone has suggestions on where to go, it would be very appreciated!

Cheers!
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 pm 
UW Climber

The North end of Lake Ozete offers some nice car camping. I think its just below the Makah reservation. There is a day hike loop that goes out and walks along the beach for a few miles. I dont know what it'll be like this time of year, but I spent a day there a few summers ago and it was fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

Erin, if you look down in the Olympics forum you'll be able to find some trs from several of us camping out on the coast past lake ozette on several occasions. I haven't been out there this time of year, but it can't be any worse weather than where you're thinking of going, and it's certainly legal. To get there you park at lake ozette and walk 3 miles on a boardwalk to the beach, camping at designated campsites in the woods just off the beach. You would probably have the place entirely to yourselves and see some pretty impressive waves.