[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Skiing Baker

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skiing Baker
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:45 pm 
Tenacious Lee

I've lived here over two years now, and I still have yet to make it to Mt. Baker for skiing. Personally I'm more of a backcountry guy, so I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some day tours that would serve as an introduction to the area? Thanks for the beta!

Post subject: Re: Skiing Baker
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 pm 
Burly Skinner

Table mountain behind the Mt Baker ski area is classic and generally full of skiers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:38 pm 
Tenacious Lee

Thanks Nathan! I found , which recommends steering clear until the snowpack has consolidated and bringing crampons for the lower bit. Would you say that's accurate?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:01 pm 
Burly Skinner

Crampons for which lower bit? Out of the parking lot and then up near the ski lifts or for the lower bit of the summit of table mt? I cannot imagine you'd use crampons in the first situation, and you won't be skiing off the very top of the mountain anyway... not certain why there'd be a need for crampons. Consolidated snow is always a bonus though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:11 pm 
Tenacious Lee

The route description says:

"Start the tour heading south along the east bank of Bagley Creek to the Bagley Lakes. Traverse the base of the north face of Table Mountain at the level of the lakes until you reach the elbow of Table Mountain (see map of route). The lower slope is about 45 degrees along this entire face so climbing in crampons is recommended to save time and energy."

Maybe ski crampons would do the trick? Have you used either on this route?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:45 am 
UW Climber

Hey Lee,

That route description is talking about summitting Table - if you circumnavigate Table from the Mt. Baker ski resort parking lot, there is never a 45 degree slope. In fact, it's a very mellow tour, but beware of avalanches on the south side of table.

Here's a report from a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4061&p=21585#p21585

A nice way to explore that area is to spend the night at the mountaineers lodge, if you're willing to brave the boy scouts and partake in the chores (shoveling snow, washing dishes... not a big deal, really). It used to be ~$35/night, including breakfast and dinner and we also got plenty of snacks to pack for the day (though we brought our own food as well). I'm probably gonna head up there one of these weekends to introduce my girlfriend to backcountry skiing... we were considering going there Feb. 13 and 14, but it will of course depend on the weather.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:32 am 
UW Climber

Let me know if you (Lee or anyone else) end up putting a trip together for this weekend. I'd like to break in my new-to-me AT setup. I'm relatively new to the area, otherwise I'd have some suggestions on where to go. Baker sounds good and looks awesome from that trip report.

Hopefully we can sort something out over a pitcher tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:43 pm 
Burly Skinner

I may also be game for a trip to Baker depending on conditions... and mostly how much work I get done in the next few days. But I'd probably be looking for a day trip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:45 pm 
UW Climber

I was thinking day trip as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:00 pm 
Tenacious Lee

A few of us are thinking of heading to Baker on Saturday if you guys are interested, though with the current forecast calling for rain there Thursday night and Friday we may relocate to somewhere without a rain crust. We should have room in the car, but what's your vehicle situation just in case?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:08 pm 
UW Climber

Saturday sounds great.

Unfortunately, I don't have a car I can drive up to the mountain. It would be awesome to carpool with you if there's room.