[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Snow camping 1/30-1/31.

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow camping 1/30-1/31.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 am 
One Armed Wonder

[edit] 1/26
The weather right now is calling for a chance of snow ant temps around 32-35. This is reasonable conditions but if it becomes a blizzard or too warm, well cancel. Don't want the snow-cave caving in.

If you don't want to build a snow-cave, then of course you don't have to, but you should plan on bringing a tent in that case. If you are worried about sleeping in snow then you should also bring a tent.

Snow camping at: Table Mountain/Artists point near Mt. Baker on Sat/Sunday.

We leave in the morning at 7:00 from the 65th park and ride. If you need a ride to the park and ride, let us know on the forum, and maybe the drivers can offer to pick them up. Remember all members need to give gas$ to their drivers!

The idea is to practice building snow structures, maybe get a few turns in (for those with the long skinny gliding snowshoes), and have a good time.

Directions To Mt. Baker Ski Area.
From I-5, in Bellingham go east on the Mt Baker Hwy 542 all the way to its end at mile 57 in Artist's Point parking lot.

Gear (initial list):
Winter gear (pm me if you don't know what this entails)
Shovel/Beacon/probes required (yes, required)
Snowshoes or skis and accouterments.
Ice axe/crampons.
People should bring their stove if they have it (let me know via email if you have one so we have enough).
Don't forget some tasty food and beverages.

If you are interested in coming, let me know by telling me if you can provide, or need a ride, what equipment you have (and/or need to check-out) or might need. You need to be a member of the club to join this outing. If you aren't a member, please go to the HUB cashier/ticket office (first floor in the HUB) to become a member.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:39 pm 
UW Climber

I'm down! I'm going to Bham on Friday though, so I will be meeting you at Baker.

Need to (pay dues) and rent: crampons, beacon

Mason has a stove and fuel.

Food: to be determined, something delicious and shareable though

Shovels and probes aren't necessary for everyone are they?

Hope the weather looks good!

We plan to bring snowboards?

Last edited by Jackie Allen on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 pm 
UW Climber

I am game. I will be skiing and will need a ride. I have a pocket rocket stove, so I may need to use a white gas stove if it gets too cold.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 am 
UW Climber

I'd like to come.
Have skis. But not sure if confident enough tele-ing to use 'em.
Have primus stove. Let me know if it is worth bringing because then I will need to go buy gas for it.
Need ride.
Need and will rent essentially everything else.

Edit 1/29: Given change of plans, bailing! Sorry for the late notice. Have fun!

Last edited by Alex Khramov on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 am 
UW Climber

I'm in tentatively.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 pm 
One Armed Wonder

OK all. It sounds like we have a very luke-warm response to joining on this snow-camping. It looks like we'd be getting wet snow for the time that we're building our caves and what-not so it will be OK conditions but not the best. I hope you rented your equipment anyway, because we'll try to do a day-trip instead. Let me know if you are still interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 pm 
UW Climber

I am out for a day trip.

I am going up to Bellingham on Friday night and heading out to Baker Saturday morning with a side group since I told people I was going and enough people invited themselves along.

Have fun :)!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:00 pm 
Frodo

Bummer.

Post if there are any more updates. I'll rent gear just in case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:24 pm 
UW Climber

Will this be a day trip to ski or just build snow caves? I am up for a day trip of skiing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:37 pm 
One Armed Wonder

skiing of course. going up to just build snow caves and not sleeping would be silly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:43 pm 
UW Climber

Alright I am in. Sorry I just wanted to make sure. I figured it was a silly question.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 pm 
UW Climber

Im interested in a day hike.