[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Gothic Basin - Sat - 1/23

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:20 am 
UW Climber

I can drive +3 or 4 depending on how squished the back wants to be.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:09 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

ACKKK!!!

Weather models are now both showing Saturday to be the clear day and Sunday to be heavily socked in by a strong band of rain and snow. So we're back to Saturday - which is likely to be mostly dry with abundant cloud cover, and a relatively high ceiling - so we should still have some nice views. Love the weather forecasting accuracy...

In this case, I assume that Chris M. is out and Brian D. is in?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 am 
UW Climber

So from the postings it looks like the trail-breaking morning crew is set for rides, but no one has posted about the later crew's rides...I've got a little honda civic hb which probably won't make it...

Is anyone able to drive?

Christie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:14 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Further modification:

The two weather models are locked in an intense disagreement at the moment. For now, plan on a Saturday departure, but check this forum again (like a hawk or a fox, your preference) tonight around 8PM for a final determination based on the last run of the models and forecast discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:21 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Brian, the weather forecast for this weekend is all over the place! It ranges from partly sunny in some areas to 80% chance of sleet in others (and changes entirely every 12 hours). I've been wavering quite a bit on whether Sat or Sun would be best also. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Good luck with your trip!

Just curious, where do you get your forecasts? I look at NOAA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:36 am 
Moss Man

Looks like the MM5 divinations didn't quite do a flipflop on the days, but:

Saturdays 'impulse' is much smaller, and sundays obvious 'front' is moved up in time (i.e. precip hitting cascades by 10am-noon)

I think at this point that Saturday is the winning bet... There may be some clouds, clearing toward the afternoon, but may just be more pleasant ambience than the potentially threatening kind as sunday's front hitting early.

Since most of the planning momentum seems to be saturday at this point, I'll go with it and join the early crew. I can provide car if needed.

I apologize for promising something on sunday, but the rule of winter trip planning is that the weather usually calls the shots.

- Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am 
UW Climber

If there is room (and no later option b/c of rides), I'd be up for going in the early crew even without a summit bid... Michelle are you going with Brian early as well? If so, we could be a small 2nd group... :) or stay with them as long as we can and break out on our own later...

Christie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am 
Alpine Slogger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:48 pm 
UW Climber

Damn. I may need to drop out at the last minute for work reasons if the weather window stays on Sat. Will post tonight/call Brian if I have to bail... Let's see how much work I can do between 4-12 this evening!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:37 pm 
UW Climber

So...Gothic Basin crowd this is for you:

I can drive, and can fit my dog and 2 other people. Right now one of them is Christie, since she's volunteered to help lead. If no one else volunteers to drive, Christie & I and one other lucky person (we'll figure out later who this is) will probably just leave with the rest of the group for an alpine start, and move a little slower. Or maybe keep up.

If some others volunteer to drive, we can take it easier, and leave as a nice big group from the Burke at 7 am. Updates based on number of drivers will be posted tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:39 pm 
UW Climber

I'm still in for Gothic Basin if there's a driver who has space to take me. Got the required gear and will check in to see what the updates are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 pm 
UW Climber

hey guys, i'd like to hit the summit with yall, have all the gear, and can drive three. it'd be good to be let into the loop on the plan.

-will

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm 
UW Climber

I definitely want to go. I'd be fine with an early departure as well as small 2nd group or going for the summit. Have all the required gear for either option.

Still would need a ride, but since Will wants to go it seems to look good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 pm 
UW Climber

Car organizing success!

For the 2nd wave:

Car 1:
Michelle (driver)
Picket the puppy
Harry
Nicola

Car 2:
Christie
Dylan
Ben
Thoralf (If you're going with Will instead, set it up with him and let me know your plans)

We will depart from the 65th St. Park & Ride at 7am . If you will have a problem getting there, send me a pm or e-mail and someone may be able to pick you up. Just to be clear, we are leaving at a different time than the other group, and probably won't cross paths with them until the afternoon. See you all at 7 am tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:49 pm 
UW Climber

I hope we cross paths - I want to greet Picket the snowy puppy! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next