[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Gothic Basin - Sat - 1/23

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

While the weather window for the weekend should still be considered purely speculative at this point, it's never to early to start speculating about a possible trip. Given the continuation of high snow levels, I'd like to get back in to Gothic Basin this weekend, and have (yet another) go at Del Campo Peak. In winter, this particular summit has repulsed several UWCC members over the years and will probably repulse this attempt, as well, but that's hardly relevant.

What I would like to do is put together a group of 6+ people interested in having a go at the summit. This will involve breaking trail into Gothic Basin up to the base of the route, scrambling the lower section (ledgy class 2/3) and scrambling the top of the route with the protection of a fixed line using pickets and trees as anchors.

Gothic Basin is also spectacular in winter, so if we're going to go through the trouble of breaking a trail into it, others should come along and enjoy the scenery (sans fixed lines and scrambling) or try to climb Gothic Peak, which shouldn't be worse than a class 2 scramble, even in winter.

It's about 5 miles and 3000' of elevation gain to reach Gothic Basin and another 1000' and mile to climb Del Campo. All aspects of this trip are wholly dependent on the avalanche forecast and weather conditions the day of. If avalanche conditions on the aspects we're climbing are anything greater than moderate, I'm disinclined to go as the approach requires considerable traversing across avalanche gullies.

Departure: For those climbing Del Campo, meet at the Burke Museum at 5:20 am for a 5:30 am departure. For those snowshoeing in to Gothic Basin meet at the 65th St Park & Ride at 7 am.

Required gear (for those attempting Del Campo)
- snowshoes (no sherpa snowclaws!)
- ice axe
- helmet
- harness
- prussiks (2)
- locking biner
- ATC
- crampons (steel only - climbing on mixed terrain with aluminum is a great way to destroy them. Also, try putting them on at home!)

Required gear (for those just heading to Gothic Basin)
- ice axe
- snowshoes
- crampons (steel preferred)

If you're interested in coming, post below or send me a PM. For Del Campo, I'll be giving preference to people who have tried and failed to climb the peak (*cough* Lucas *cough*). I'll also be looking for 1-2 relatively experienced people to coordinate the group heading in to Gothic Basin (if there are enough people interested in that). I'll be putting up some flagging to mark our route while we're in the awkward transition between bare ground and deep snow.

--- Edit 1/22/10 (*&#$! NOAA)---

The weather for Sunday now sucks, so we're back to Saturday. Departure time and location remains as indicated above.

The two weather models are locked in an intense disagreement at the moment. For now, plan on a Saturday departure, but check this forum again (like a hawk or a fox, your preference) tonight around 8PM for a final determination based on the last run of the models and forecast discussion. Thanks for your patience in dealing with flaky PNW winter weather. I promise that organizing trips in the summer is not nearly so fun.

Provided they are able to get their hands on the available equipment, the Del Campo summit crew will consist of:
Me
Jim Prager
Brian Doehle
Kurt Zogorski
Lucas
Erin
Carolina
Dave

Those who have expressed an interest in going and are still more than welcome to use our trench to reach Gothic Basin are:
Michelle H
Harry
Will
Taylor
Ben Rutz
Christie
Thoralf
nrentsch (that can't possible be your real name, can it???)
Kevin Steffa
Dylan Price

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 am 
giving spoon

Hold a place for me, I may be able to do this one. I'll keep you updated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 am 
UW Climber

I will probably come along just up to Gothic Basin. I may be trying out ways to keep the fuzzy puppy from balling up with snow, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 am 
UW Climber

Definitely interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:53 am 
receiving spoon

Ha, no arm-twisting necessary Brian! I'm in if the conditions look good. I'd love to give this mountain another go.

Here's a cc tr Chris sent me a while back that I might as well post:

I liked that subtle hint :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

NOAA seems to be expanding the weather window. My preference is for Saturday rather than Sunday. Is anyone else particularly constrained.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm 
giving spoon

Sunday is pretty likely for me, but Saturday is out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:52 pm 
Alpine Slogger

I would probably be interested in going if Sat. is the day. Sun is probably not possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 pm 
receiving spoon

I most likely can work around either day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:58 pm 
UW Climber

Hey I'm interested but i'm curious if my minimal experience is enough to handle this trip.
Any day is fine with me and I'll need a ride regardless.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 am 
Frodo

Interested. Either day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:32 am 
UW Climber

i'd like to play. 713 825 7348.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:53 am 
The Shepherd

I would like to come along, and I think Saturday is best for me but I may be able to make either day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:10 am 
UW Climber

Interested in Gothic Basin for sure...either day works for me but I'll need a lift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 am 
UW Climber

Hey, I'd really like to come and get a shot in at Del Campo Peak. Though it looks like I may have posted a little late, seems to be a lot of interest already... I am good with either day