[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Snowshoe/camp MLK weekend

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 pm 
UW Climber

I know snowshoeing just happened last weekend, however I was unable to participate and want to go! Therefore, more details to come however I was thinking that it'd be fun to go snowshoeing at either Rainier or Baker. Either case, we could also snowcamp! Therefore, the trip would be Saturday, weather permitting, and an overnight if possible to come back Sunday.

Mount Rainier offers guided snowshoe tours, which I heard about and thought would be interesting just to see what they have to say. They are free (after the park entrance fee $15 per car). More information here: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/w ... UMP_142395

Below, please post interest, gear needed, and whether you are able to drive. Also, if you have a preference or ideas on where to go. Mucho gracias! Much more to be considered tomorrow at pub night, but in case you see this before :)

As last week, required equipment /recommended:
- snowshoes
- ice axe
- a way to attach your snowshoes and ice axe to your pack for the start of the trip
- warm clothes and waterproof layers
- sunglasses and sunblock
- headlamp or flashlight
- waterproof boots
- gaitors
- trekking poles (optional)
- crampons (optional)

Group gear for snowcamping:
Snowshovel
Stove
Gas

Personal snowcamp gear;
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm 
UW Climber

I have a bivy-bag-liner combo that I would be comfortable in to say 20 degrees F, would that be enough for this trip?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm 
UW Climber

I am down for both snowshoe/camp. Baker and Rainier both sound good but I prefer Rainier since its more famous and I've only been there once. But I don't really care. I've gone snowshoeing and used crampons once so not that much experience in snow.

I don't have a car so i'll need a lift (will pay for gas)
And i'll rent the gear i need from club.
If camping is a go, does anyone know if the club has the necessary snowcamping tools?

-Harry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm 
Frodo

Jackie,
Would love to go.

I have all the personal gear needed. No car. Either sounds great!

Do you know what time we would be returning on Sunday? Before six I hope?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 pm 
UW Climber

I'm up for a snowshoe, not sure about a camp though. I've got gear, no car. I've been snowshoeing once before, never used crampons. I'm up for going wherever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 am 
UW Climber

I want to go on this trip. I have never done anything, but I plan on going to the HUB meeting tomorrow to pay the $25. I need a ride too and will pay for gas.
I also need to rent some gear, but I will do so before the weekend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:07 am 
UW Climber

I'm in! Thanks for organizing Jackie.
I'd be happy doing whatever.
I have a snow shovel. I have a stove, too, but just a pocket-rocket like stove (not a whisper light) so I don't know if it will work in our conditions. (I've used it on Mt Shasta, but I thought they weren't supposed to work in cold). I don't have fuel but that's purchasable...
I also have a national parks pass (I'm assuming that would cover the $15 fee for my car).

I do have a car but it's a small honda civic and I have crappy tires. I have chains but last weekend showed me that wouldn't really work so I probably cannot drive my car (?). I'll be there tonight so we can discuss more...

Hooray!
Christie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:59 am 
UW Climber

I'm in, tentatively. I'll need to get ice ax-snowshoes, shovel from the IMA. I also have a stove to contribute, but its a canister and my fuel's no good below 17deg f. Never been snow camping before!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 pm 
UW Climber

I'm coming too, I need to sign up for the club today, and I'll also need to get an ice axe and snowshoes from the IMA. I have a canister stove.

I also have a car, it's a small Hyundai Accent but it's a hatchback and technically can seat four passengers, also have never run chains on it, but the two front tires are fairly new.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 pm 
UW Climber

I would love to go. I've got all of the personal gear. No stove but I'll try to rent a shovel.

I have a front wheel drive toyota corolla. I've heard the snowshoeing around Rainier is really great, but I would be happy with anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 am 
UW Climber

hey guys, i have a car and room for 3 or 4 more people + gear. i'm only available on sunday, though.

anyone up for snowshoeing sunday??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:02 pm 
UW Climber

Oh, so I hate to bail on the snowcamp idea, but I am not enthused about sleeping in tents in the snow just for a night because it looks like the weather will not be appropriate to do snow caves. A snow shovel, stove, and sleeping bags will no longer be necessary. Also, the trip will happen on Sunday as a day trip, but will still be amazing!

I have tentatively made carpool lists. Each car needs a parks pass ($15). We will leave at promptly 7:45am from the BURKE MUSEUM parking lot (Law Library side, get there at 7:30), get to the Paradise hopefully around 10 or so. We will be going on the Mazama Ridge. It is 6 miles roundtrip (I'm guessing about 5 hours), gain of 900 ft. to an elevation of 5700ft. Pack lunch and snacks, and plenty of water! There are supposed to be spectacular views, so likely a camera too :) Hopefully the gate is open and we get an early start so we can be back by 6 (Erin)!

Car1: Dylan
1. Constantin
2. Michael
3. Harry

Car2: Malloree
1. Jackie
2. Mason
3. Christie

Car3: Cameron
1. Erin
2. Matthew (?)

*If more people sign up, then we will take 3 cars, if not, Cameron, you may not have to drive.

P.S. People going to the IMA for gear checkout, would it be possible to get an extra pair (or two would be great) of snowshoes? I cannot make it during checkout hours. Please let me know or else I'll have to figure something else out. 206-769-1616 Thanks!

I have a lot going on, and will be sure to update this SATURDAY if there are any changes (and I will update before as needed), so be sure to check back to make sure things haven't changed (aka times, carpools etc).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:36 pm 
UW Climber

I am in. Have the equipment checked out fom the IMA.

Do not have a car so I would need a ride.

Looking forward and hoping for good weather.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 pm 
UW Climber

If its just a day trip, then I think I'm gonna bail. Hope you guys have a good time though!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 pm 
UW Climber

Jackie: I'll try to get you snow shoes if i can. I'm going to the IMA in a bit to grab the necessary gear