[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - BC skiing MLK weekend

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BC skiing MLK weekend
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:20 pm 
Tenacious Lee

The weather forecast for this weekend pointed to abundant breakable crust, but I'm hoping next week will be better; anyone interested in a backcountry ski day over our three-day weekend? Probably not a beginner level trip, but I'm hoping to do something reasonably mellow (avy gear and the know-how to use them mandatory).

As to location, I'm open to suggestions, even from people who aren't coming. I'm thinking no more than a two hour drive; I know some places at Snoqualmie we could go but I'd love to check out some of the non-lift served Stevens backcountry if there are some good suggestions.

Any takers or suggestions for destinations?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:31 pm 
UW Climber

Hey Lee,

I will most likely try to go ski something somewhere, but if the weather continues doing what it's currently doing, skiing will probably suck... we'll just have to see what happens the rest of the week

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 am 
Duchess of Bearington

Weather permitting, I'd love to ski as well...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:00 pm 
Tenacious Lee

Awesome Rok and Avaholliday (if that IS your real name)! Looks to me like the forecast for is surprisingly decent. I've heard it's difficult to hit the backcountry in the Stevens area without using the lifts, and since I don't have a season pass there, I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. Any beta on routes in the area?

Regarding when, any day works for me, though if we're going Saturday it would be good to know by the end of today. Personally I like hitting the trail as early as possible, but I'm flexible.

I just discovered my car is not starting, looks like the alternator is kaput; bummer man. I'll gladly pitch in for gas money (and DJ or drive if you want) if someone else is willing to take their car.

Update: Burgdorfer has two interesting tours in the area of Jove Peak and Union Peak east of Stevens pass, anyone been up there?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 pm 
Burly Skinner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:35 am 
Tenacious Lee

I was referring to the NOAA forecast I linked to in the previous post, ; looks like snow, snow, and more snow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:14 am 
UW Climber

Hmmm... I wonder when they say "snow" they mean "rain" - the lows are just below freezing, so that precip can't all be coming down as snow... But maybe stevens is in a sweet spot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:18 am 
Tenacious Lee

It is disconcerting that there's a flood watch for the area...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:47 am 
UW Climber

yes indeed... I was thinking the same thing.

Re: Jove and Union peak - they're east of the pass, so the conditions might be a bit drier there... though from what I read the snowpack hasn't stabilized quite as much there either. I haven't gone up those, but I've been up Lichtenberg which is just west of the two if I remember correctly. But, the terrain just across the street from the stevens pass resort is one of the most popular backcountry ski areas in the state. That said, it's better to avoid it on the weekend...

So if the forecast is right, sunday might be the colder of the two days... I suggest we check the telemetry and avy/trip reports tomorrow to see if the forecast for the northern part of the state was indeed correct... and then pick a potential objective for sunday. And, my skis are in the shop (took a chunk out of one of them over the holidays in the tetons) and they likely won't be done before tomorrow. :)

We'll still need a driver though...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:38 pm 
UW Climber

If your plans move to Monday, I would be willing to tag along and drive. I have a small two wheel, but it will fit three with gear and skis (no rack). Let me know if you are still strapped for a ride on Sunday and want to go Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 pm 
Burly Skinner

Thanks Lee. I've been weirded out by the "snow" at above freezing temps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:35 pm 
Tenacious Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 pm 
UW Climber

Just talked to Kevin (Steffa) and apparently there is a possibility of a weather window tomorrow am. So we're planning on going to Mt. Dickerman off Mtn Loop highway, leaving seattle at 6 am. If the weather breaks as promised, we should get some pretty sweet views, though Dickerman itself is not a super impressive mountain. There are, however, ample options for descents from the summit if the snow turns out to be good at all. We have room for one more person in the car. Tomorrow should have slightly cooler temperatures than Sunday as well. Now I just need to get my skis from the shop...

We both need to be back by 6pm so we'd like to avoid Stevens traffic, hence the choice for Mtn Loop Hwy instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:41 pm 
UW Climber

update: the ski shop says they're really backed up and I can't get my skis before tomorrow... so unless they call me in the next few hours I suppose sunday it is! And, on sunday, I wouldn't mind going out east of stevens, maybe around lichtenberg or jove/union.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:48 pm 
Tenacious Lee

If you are in Veronika, it would make three with Rok and I, just the right amount. Ava, are you still interested?

What time would you guys like to leave? I'd vote for around 6 or 7, but whenever works for you is fine with me. I live on First Hill, which I understand is a bit out of the way; if you'd be able to pick me up that would be awesome, otherwise I can try to figure out busing it to somewhere more convenient.