[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Snowshoe Trip on Sunday - 1/10

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:54 am 
UW Climber

I'd like to come along.

I would be okay with what ever, I've done Dickerman before, so I'd prefer something new... but its one of my favorites so I wouldn't mind doing it again.

No car, so I'd need a ride.

-Ben

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:55 am 
UW Climber

I'd like to come. Have no car. Will need and try to rent snowshoes andice axe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am 
UW Climber

I would like to come, have the gear (will rent snowshoes from the IMA) but will likely be coming from Bellingham, so I'd have to meet you there. To be decided. No preference in route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Car and driver lists updated in first post. Given weather forecast for Friday/Saturday am considering some higher elevation opportunities (e.g., Bedal, Pilot Ridge) that might necessitate a somewhat earlier start.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39 pm 
giving spoon

mmm... Bedal. I'm bringing my skis.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 pm 
UW Climber

Hi, I'm Mandy, I'm new to the climbing club!

It looks like there are spots open for this snowshoe trip? If so, would I be able to tag along?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 am 
Cap'n Posthole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 am 
UW Climber

I would love to come, I just saw the trip announcement right now although I subscribed to the forum but my stupid spam filter would never let me know
If a spot opens up since someone decides to drive I could rent all the equipment at the IMA tomorrow (so I need a ride)

I am in shape like a young greek goddess, though this would be my first snow shoe trip, so I am ok with any trip

Thanks Thoralf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:02 am 
UW Climber

I would like to join, need a ride though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 am 
UW Climber

I'm still down for going, though it looks like I'll need to be back in Seattle by about 6:00. Brian, do you have a rough idea of what our schedule will look like? Maybe my car could just skip on dinner or something so we can get back.....id hate to miss this so hopefully it can work out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:29 am 

All -

Conditions for Sunday still look like a go - chance of rain/snow with a high freezing level. I expect conditions will be rather slick. Those with access to crampons might benefit from them, but the crampons integrated into snowshoes should still work (albeit with a bit more awkwardness).

In order to try to get Matt back to Seattle on time, I would like to push the meeting time back to 0630 on Sunday morning.

Still trying to decide between South Bessemer and Dickerman. Anaconda is out due to the limited snow cover and other options (Bedal, Pugh, Hidden Lake) are longer days than we have light for. That being said, if part of the group would like to strike off towards one of these longer, steeper objectives, there would be no hard feelings on my part.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:27 pm 

Still dithering on location...

I'm a little reluctant to climb Dickerman since I (and several others) have done it several times before. I also have it on good authority that South Bessemer is boring - put your eyes out boring - which I am really not a fan of.

One possible alternative that is gaining traction in my mind is Hidden Lake Peak in North Cascades National Park. This is about 10 miles RT, with 4000' of gain and, if there are any breaks in the clouds, fantastic views. The route climbs steeply through open timber for the first 1000' (consider it a good warm up/burn-out) before breaking out on open slopes towards the summit.

I have it on good authority that the road is probably clear to the start of the climber's route around 2800'. That being said, if the road is not clear and we cannot make it close to the trailhead, the backup plan would be to climb Lookout Mountain, which is also about 10 miles RT with 4400' of gain and has a (drum roll please) lookout on top.

Because the drive to these are a little further, we probably would not get back to Seattle until around 8 and everyone in Matt's car would have to turn back a little early (though would likely still get some good views).

Thoughts? Stay with Dickerman? Do South Bessemer and put our eyes out?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:43 pm 
giving spoon

I think you can guess my vote, Brian.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:48 pm 
Alpine Slogger

Hidden Lakes has been high on my list. I'd be all for that, Bedal, Pugh etc. Been up Dickerman before, so I doubt it would be any more interesting for me than S. Bessemer. That being said I'll do whatever (and would enjoy Dickerman or Bessemer), but would be happy to lead my car to another destination. Chris already called me and is eager for something else.

Edit: The whole car is on board with Hidden Lakes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next