[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - December aid climbing course

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:47 am 
UW Climber

Some interest has been expressed for an aid climbing class, and Tom Lewis generously agreed to teach a 3-day course again this winter. Thanks to Matt Jensen's gracious permission to use the IMA during finals week, we now have the details nailed down. I should note that Tom has said he may be willing to hold another course in the spring if there is sufficient interest.

Here's the skinny:
date: Monday - Wednesday, Dec 14-16, 5:30 - 8:30 PM
place: IMA climbing gym
what: instruction and practice for ascending and descending fixed ropes, basic aid climbing on a straight and traversing bolt ladder
who: maximum of 4 participants
how much: $22 per participant to cover the cost of the gym staff
what each participant needs: harness, helmet, 2 ascenders, 2 daisys (adjustable recommended but not required), 2 aiders (i.e., ladders), 4 big locking carabiners, many free biners or draws, personal anchor, fifi hook (or carabiner), grigri or rappel device

Last edited by gracemarx on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:47 am 
UW Climber

One of the benefits of organizing ..... I'll take a spot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:42 pm 
UW Climber

I like to take this class as well. I dont see myself aiding in the near future so if someone else is interested and is going to actually use the knowledge, they should probably take the class instead of me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:48 pm 
Longshanks

It should be noted (unless things have changed) that participants will need to pass the lead-climbing test at the IMA in order to be eligible for participation. The test is administered on an overhanging 5.8 pitch. You will be required to take multiple intentional lead falls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 am 
UW Climber

Hmm. Is there anyway of borrowing some of that gear (ie ascenders/ladders)? I don't have all of it myself and probably can't buy everything before the class. May have to wait till spring...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 pm 
Longshanks

I believe the club has a single pair of Jumars that someone could burrow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:09 pm 
UW Climber

The IMA gym also has a couple sets of daisies, ascenders, etriers, and grigri that will be available.

I also have a spare set that I will bring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:02 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I bet if you ask nicely, Kris will lend you his etriers and ascenders.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:00 pm 
UW Climber

I think Gwyn may actually be arriving from England that week; possibly spending three evenings practicing aiding instead of hanging out with him may not be the best strategy! I'd definitely like to participate in a spring class if we have one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:25 am 
UW Climber

Overhanging is a bit of a stretch.

Can I call dibs on the clubs ascenders or IMA stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:40 pm 
UW Climber

Still one spot open for the aid climbing course!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:50 am 
UW Climber

Update:

Attendees: Grace, Veronika, Kurt (still room for one more!!)
Fees: $30 per person (the increase of $8 per person reflects that we will have 3 instead of 4 students).
Payment: Matt Jensen of the IMA climbing gym has said that he would prefer to receive the $30 prior to the class. If that's not possible, payment can be made on the 1st day of class with exact change, check, or credit card

Also, Matt has said that the IMA has available for our use 4 big wall harnesses, 3 or 4 sets of ascenders, daisy chains, slings, pulleys, and gri gris.

See you on Monday!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:25 am 
UW Climber

The aid course is complete and everyone (Grace, Veronika, and Kurt) survived.

Thanks to Matt and the gym staff for hosting the festivities. And thanks to Obadiah and Kris for lying around and belaying. A tough job, but someone had to do it. Maybe there will be a few pics posted on the topic.

Here's a link to a self-study course (in progress) as well:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:36 pm 
UW Climber

I would also like to publically thank Tom for being such a great sport and a patient teacher. I learned a great deal over three days and am excited to tackle a big wall sometime soon! A big thanks to Matt, too, who let us use a large section of his gym and generously provided extra gear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:52 pm 
UW Climber

Yes, thanks a ton! Definitely 3 days of class 1 fun. (maybe just a little class 2). Probably a little premature for me, but maybe I'll start aid before trad.