[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Ice Climbing at Mt. Baker

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:03 pm 
The Pub Czar

rats; i'm off at s&r training this weekend.
enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:09 pm 
The Shepherd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 pm 
receiving spoon

We can defy NAM once again!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:22 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:49 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

1. I can drive and take me +3.
2. I can self arrest and use French technique. I have a bit of glacier experience, but my ice experience is very limited.
3. I will be bringing 2 ice screws and gear for constructing top anchors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:59 pm 
UW Climber

I would like to come along, but i have no ice experience.
I'm gonna need almost all the gear that's required so any ideas where i could rent the gear if the rentable gear are all checked out? And how much does renting stuff usually sum up to be if not from the club?
For warm clothes, how cold will it be approx?
I don't have a car.

I have belayed before but i don't have the belaying tools. I used different tools than the ones i've seen other's using but i do have some technique in doing it.

-Harry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:22 pm 
UW Climber

I didn't count so I hope there's still room.

1. I do not have a car.
2. I have very minimal glacier experience, no ice experience. I know how to self arrest but I do not know French Technique.
3. I will be renting helmet, pack, and ice axe from the IMA and crampons from the HUB. I already have an old pair of plastic boots, harness, warm clothes, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:27 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

If anyone finds that they need to bail, please let me know as soon as you do, because there are others who will want to take your place. This trip is popular and I don't want to find out Sat. morning that you aren't coming.

Right now the high for Sat is forecast to be in the upper 20s. You need to be able to stay warm while standing around belaying.

Harry: You should check the IMA and club office first. Otherwise check out REI or FF. I have no idea how much it would cost.

Dylan: We have 12 right now. You are first on the waiting list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:26 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Tears... I won't be able to have fun with you guys. Enjoy it and be safe!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:35 pm 
UW Climber

Jim, Please put me on the waiting list, too. I have personal gear and will try to come up with some ice tools- I'll update that once I know I'm coming. If I come, I'll be in Brian's car. I can self-arrest and have been on a rope team on a glacier once.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:03 pm 
UW Climber

Hey,

I haven't been involved in the climbing club for over a year, but I'd really like to come on this outing...I took a basic climbing class two years ago, I have glacier travel experience, know how to rig a z-pulley, self-arrest, belay, and flat-foot and front-point on crampons. I don't have any ice climbing experience on anything steeper than 45 degrees, though. I have an ice axe and a second tool, as well as all the other necessary personal gear, and I can also bring a 30m x 8mm glacier rope. I can also drive myself and 3 others.

- Oscar Lilienthal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:58 pm 
UW Climber

Jim, I'm pretty sure Obadiah has told you that he'll be coming, and I'd like to join, too.
We have all our own gear including several ice screws and two pickets but just one set of ice tools.
We also have glacier travel and ice climbing experience.
We'll be driving and have room for two more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:24 pm 
UW Climber

Done with (Quals) and application and midterm this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!! oy. i'd love to join, let me know if a spot opens up. I have a car, and I can take Ian's Ice tools... I ice climbed once and have been on glaciers and like snow and rain and sunshine and cold mornings etc. etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:18 pm 
UW Climber

I realize I got to this post a little too late. But if there happens to be a second group going up then I would love to join. However, I haven't got a car and would need to rent nearly all the equipment besides a harness. I also don't have any experience, but can belay!