[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Snow School

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Snow School
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:14 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Thanks to all the learners and instructors. I think we all came away with some good practice and a healthy dose of UV radiation.

Well done, Jim. :drink2:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:22 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

Second that.

Cheers Jim.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:00 pm 
UW Climber

Thanks so much to everyone for a great day!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:29 pm 
One Armed Wonder

A friggan awesom day! Major thanks Jim.

This week I hope we can practice systems again at the rock wall, if anyone wants to firm-up the knowledge they've attained recently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 am 
UW Climber

Where are the pics??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:33 am 
UW Climber

Thanks again Jim for an awesome day of learning.

In addition to practicing the systems at the wall again soon, we should also do some prusiking practice too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:36 am 
The Shepherd

Big thanks to Jim for organizing this! I have a TR and pics

In the mean time, this one is for you Grace:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:16 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

This was truly an outstanding snow school. The enthusiasm of all of the instructors and participants was amazing. Everyone's hunger to learn made teaching easy and fun. I want to say a special thanks to all of the instructors: Brian, Brian, Kris, Obadiah, Sylvain and Ian for sharing their knowledge and love of mountaineering with everyone. Also thanks to my rope team for making it a fun afternoon of playing in the snow.

Just to add on to Kris's TR: After heading back to the parking lot, Obadiah and Sylvain set up four rope lines over a snow cliff in the parking lot so everyone could practice ascending the rope. I think most people found it was harder than it looks. We tried to reinforce the idea that there is no such thing as cheating to get out of a crevasse, and one should use any means necessary. Everyone who attempted it made it to the top. We even had a few people rappel for the first time ever. After pack up the cars, the thirteen of us headed to Tall Timbers in Eatonville for a well deserved dinner.

Now that everyone has the basic idea of self arrest and crevasse rescue, I encourage everyone to practice, practice and practice. After I first learned crevasse rescue, I spent many evenings building z-pulleys and hauling books across the floor of my kitchen until everything became second nature. I'd also encourage everyone to practice self arresting more in another month once the snow firms up. It makes more sense when the snow is not quite so soft.

I look forward to reading your all trip reports from your glacier climbs this summer. Thanks again and keep learning and climbing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:53 am 
UW Climber

Kris, how did you know I was really just asking to see pictures of Obadiah? :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 pm 
Alpine Slogger

So now that Jim has lead another tremendously sucessful snowschool, is it time to bestow the title of Dr. Crevasse? :P

Thanks again Jim for the solid effort and orginization to make it all happen so smoothly! :drink2:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm 
The Pub Czar

Last edited by amit tai on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 pm 
The Shepherd

Well, What do you say Jim? I can change it if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:25 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

Sounds good to me. I'm glad I earned a title.