[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Spring Break BC trip between 3/22-3/29

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 pm 
One Armed Wonder

[Update]
Trip Details:
We will be going to . It is kind of a long approach (16km) but it is best accessed when we can cross the frozen Garibaldi Lake (like now.

It seems that this is a skiier-heavy trip, so we are limiting it to those who will be using a backcountry setup.
Some additional infos...

Conditions (edit 3/22 8am)
The weather looks like a few snow flurries during the week with some sun on Wednesday. The temperatures are still considered cold. ,
are a little on the high-side, but we should be able to navigate around them. We can still consider Elfin Lakes hut as our backup if people want to.

Proposed timeline (edit 3/22 at 8am)
Early group in 1/2 cars head up Tuesday 3/24 Morning (~5ish), get to Trail Head and get to hut, ASAP for some hot drinks.
3/25 Find some powder and yo yo ski or investigate conditions for climbing on 3/26.
3/26 Ski/or climb. Other later group heads up from Seattle early and meets up.
3/27 Halfday ski. Early group leaves around ~10:00 to be back in Seattle late. Later group goes on their own objectives.
3/28 Later group does their thing.
3/29 Later group does their thing....

Gear Needed:
Beacon/Shovel/Probes Skis/Snowshoes. If you want to consider something technical then Ice Axe and Crampons will be necessary.

Possible climbing objectives:
Mt. Price.
(very snow-condition dependent, though in principle I would like to do this)
Sphynx.

What you need to do
Most of you have done-so already, but put in your posting the dates you can go, the # of people you might be able to drive, and if you have any sort of alpine objectives. Get all the gear you need in order.

People Summary: (from what i can tell)
Earlier people...
Ian (can drive 2-3ppl more+gear): 24-27 (back in Seattle on 27th). Castle towers objective? Skiing/good times otherwise.
David (can drive 3): 24-27. Objectives?
Jim (can drive?): Whenever conditions are good. Objective?
Later people...
Jim (whenever)
Chris: 25-29. (can drive ~3ppl). Objective?
Ethan: 26-??. (driving self?). Objective?
Mike: 25-29. (might be able to drive) Objective?.

Rok (maybe)

It looks like this is a fairly small contingent, with only 2 groups of ~3 people for early and later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:18 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

Edit*

I am interested.
24-27 sounds good to me.
Since we have a lot of drivers I request to not drive.

I am skiing.
I have avy gear.
I wasn't able to check out crampons or ice axe.

Last edited by David Goulet on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:20 am 
Alpine Slogger

I'm going to try and swing one of the weekends. But I'm not sure yet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 am 
UW Climber

I can't make it :( (roadtrip!!) Have fun though everyone!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:26 am 
Dr. Crevasse

I'm definitely in. I'm extremely flexible during that week, so I'm hoping to go whenever the weather/avalanche forecast looks best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:01 am 
giving spoon

I'm totally in for 25th-29th. If avy conditions are good, I would be very interested in trying to climb Atwell.

I'll be on skis.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:38 pm 
UW Climber

Sorry, Yosemite calls.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:02 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested in going 3/25-29. I need a ride. Do you think a snowboard would work, or should I just do snowshoes?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:28 am 
The 11th Essential

I've been forced by logistics to fly back into Seattle on Tuesday, March 24th at 9pm. This might force me to leave later on Wednesday or instead come up Thursday morning. I will be driving - however, I may need to stop off in Vancouver on the way back and there is a risk of my ankle crapping out and forcing an early retreat, so it would be best for folks needing a ride to first look elsewhere. I'll post more clarity once I have the details of my trajectory.

I plan to ski.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:35 am 
The Pub Czar

this looks awesome, but i'm going back to mexico for break.
maybe one of these years i'll stay in town long enough to head out of town with the club :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:41 pm 
UW Climber

I'd be up for some skiing. I've got something else the first few days of break, so the 25th-29th would be perfect. Can probably borrow a car if neccessary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:49 am 
Alpine Slogger

Have to leave town this week, so that puts an end to my chances of going up. I'm sure it will be super sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:49 pm 
One Armed Wonder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:10 pm 
One Armed Wonder

With Ethan's assistance here are some ideas about where to go (as taken from at )

My fav choice: Burton primarily because it has great mountaineering,skiing possibilities, it is a relatively quick approach to the TH and to the hut itself.

"The Burton Hut is an awesome base for fair weather skiing, with amazing long glacier descents all around. There are few trees however, so it is a poor destination in bad weather or in unstable conditions."

Brian Waddington

Has access to some yoyoing and some mountaineering. A bit further (past Pemberton, and 4wheel drive+ chains would be wanted)

Backup?
Wendy Thomson

Backup?
Elfin Lakes. Good and trusty... we've been here before, so have Nathan and Valerie recently.

If you have any thoughts, let me know soon. I'm going to try to 'reserve' spaces ASAP.

Also... in terms of dates, it looks like I would be going up (with David? or Jim?) on the 24th but I have to leave on the 26th/ early 27th to be back in Seattle on the 27th. Those who would be coming later would overlap with me on most of the 26th.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:11 pm 
The 11th Essential

Burton Hut, besides the fantastic alpine setting and the sweet frozen lake traverse, appeals to me also because it is much harder to get to at other times of the year when the lake is melted out.