[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Snow camping 2/7 and 2/8

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow camping 2/7 and 2/8
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:56 am 
One Armed Wonder

[Edit]
Snow camping on Table Mountain/Artists point near Mt. Baker on Sat/Sunday.

We leave in the morning at 7:00 from the 65th park and ride. If you need a ride to the park and ride, let us know on the forum, and maybe the drivers can offer to pick them up.

We have plenty of car room. People should bring their stove if they have it (let me know via email if you have one so we have enough).

Don't forget some tasty food and beverages.

The ideas is to practice building snow structures, maybe get a few turns in (for those with the long skinny gliding snowshoes), and have a good time.

Drivers: passengers. (these can be rearranged at the park and ride if necessary).
Karl (has forest pass): Hendrik, Christian
Zoe (Ian's pass): Dylan
David(has pass?): Adam, Jonathan, Kurt

Directions:
From I-5, in Bellingham go east on the Mt Baker Hwy 542 all the way to its end at mile 57 in Artist's Point parking lot.

Gear:
Winter gear
Shovel/Beacon/probes required
Snowshoes or skis and accouterments.

Last edited by Ian Derrington on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:53 pm 
The Pub Czar

ah, poop. wish i could make it, but i got no free weekends left in february :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:18 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

I am going and can take 3 comfortably 4 less comfortably and 5 with phantom gear.
But I do need a NW pass.
Kurt I will take that spot in your tent if we fail to errect an effective snow cave.
I have everything else.
I have some 2way radios I can bring. 3 I think.

Last edited by David Goulet on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 am 
UW Climber

I'm interested.

Edit 1:
I'm in. I have the requisite gear (snowshoes, beacon, axe, cold-weather stuff). Dylan, you're more than welcome to share my cook gear. I don't have a tent, but I would really like to sleep in a cave of my own making (and I have a nice warm bag and a good tarp I'll bring just in case). I will need a ride, if that's ok.

Last edited by adam greenhall on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:47 am 
UW Climber

Already going with another group... have fun though! If you end up around Baker I might be nearby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:52 pm 
UW Climber

Last edited by Jonathan Toner on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:24 pm 
UW Climber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:34 pm 
UW Climber

Last edited by Kurt Zogorski on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:59 pm 
UW Climber

Last edited by Dylan Price on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:17 pm 
UW Climber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:10 pm 
One Armed Wonder

To ALL PEEPs who are interested in coming, let me know some things (edit your previous post so this thread doesn't become crazy big).
Can you drive? If so how many people can you transport?
Is there a car that you hope to go in?
What form of travel will you use (snowshoes/ skis?)
Do you want to sleep in a cave of your making or in a tent? (do you have one or need a tent?)

Do you have need of any rental/borrowable gear?

Gear Checklist (not necessarily comprehensive):

Clothing (you don't want to be cold, so bring more if you are new to this, and NO COTTON):
Base: Long-type-johns
Socks (2 pair minimum)
Thermal: Down, fleece, wool etc...
Outer: Wind/Rain Jacket and pants
Gloves (2 pair)
Hat &| balaclava
SunGlasses/Goggles!
sunscreen(maybe?)

Sleeping:
Sleeping bag
Sleeping Pad!
Tent/ access to a tent
Shovel

Travel:
HEADLAMP
avalanche beacon
Shovel/Probes
Boots/Snowshoes/poles
Boots/skis/poles/skins
Map (once definite location is considered)
Compass

Eating:
Stove/access to a stove and POT.
Cup/utensils.
Food for 2 lunches, breakfast, snacks...
Water bottle/nalgene

What am I forgetting?... well check
and fill in the rest of what you think you might want.

Again, the plan is to leave early on Sat, go up to (very likely Table Mt. near Mt. Baker area unless there are better ideas). We will find a camp around 3-4 and set it up. Enjoy camaraderie, food, a little bit of tooling around until we're too cold to not be in our tents. Sunday we'll wake up, eat, tool around with digging snow-pits to evaluate avalanche conditions, maybe get some ski turns in or hike up somewhere fun, break camp and get back to the car by 3-4.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Post subject: beg / borrow / steal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:43 pm 
The Pub Czar

i'm not going, so consequently i can lend out gear to responsible (or rich, whatever) people.

i've got outerwear (size men's M) and some camping stuff; i guess it all depends on if there's a need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm 
UW Climber