[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Ruby Mountain (2-day Winter Scramble) MLK weekend.

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:22 pm 
Moss Man

So, the reset button has been hit on winter 2009... A week of clearing and warm temps are forecasted, which should further consolidate the snowpack.

Not exactly the best conditions for skiing, but quite good, really, for walking around, and actually getting to the top of something!

So, I've had my eye on Ruby Mountain for awhile in the winter time. It is the most logical peak in the North Cascades accessible right now with a minimum of fuss, outside of the Baker Ski Area. Views up Ross Lake, the Pickets, and especially the expanse that is Boston/Forbidden/Eldorado. I have been here in the summer time, and the views are better than Sourdough mountain (comparable to Sahale Arm).

Start at elev. 2200' from the winter closure gate on highway 20. Ascend mellow north facing slopes southward to progressively more moderate angles. Either a basin or ridgeline route is possible. Mostly forested, with increasing openness with elevation, and the brush should be covered with snow.

Good campspots on a flat-ish shoulder at 6000'.

Finish with a 1000' moderate, but 'airy' ridgewalk to the summit at 7000'.

So... I think a single overnight should be about right to enjoy this one. I can provide a communal Megamid shelter, holds 4, also transportation.

Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon ??? dunno... will probably decide by thursday based on input and forecast, but long range view indicates that the dry spell will end sometime on monday. If the weather deteriorates too much, I will probably scale back to a daytrip.

gear:
- nothing technical, but should be in good physical shape for a 4000' climb.
- winter camping gear. may use a combination of megamids and 'trench' style shelters to keep things lightweight. Bivi sacks work well with megamids, which have no floor.
- snowshoes or experience with backcountry skiis. A ridgeline route is optimal for snowshoes, though if avalanche danger decreases enough, a more open 'basin' route may be doable on skis. Skiing conditions are not predicted to be good, so unless your skiing skill is confident, snowshoes overall may be advantageous.
- avalanche gear.

- Kevin

Post subject: Steven Cazales
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 pm 
UW Climber

Count me in for it,but when would we leave? I think Saturday and Sunday would work best for me, since I want to leave Monday for homework. Is there any thing I need to rent from the IMA and lets try to get one more person to make this entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:29 pm 
Moss Man

Sounds good the more the merrier - 4 is a good number for ride sharing and to fit in the Megamid shelter.

Get a good pair of snowshoes and a bivi sack at the IMA. Also remember a shovel, poles/probe and transciever. If more than 4 come, also consider checking out the club's Megamid too.

I have a stove and cookset that I can share.

We'll keep our fingers crossed on the weather - its sunny up there right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 pm 
UW Climber

Sounds great, I've heard good things about Ruby and the weather would be great this weekend. I would only be able to do Sunday Monday, though, I work on Saturday. I have MSR's and could provide a 4-season tent if needed but no car... :(

Let me know!
Lindsey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:55 pm 
Moss Man

At this point I am still flexible for either combination of days - the weather forecast shows no preferences. Steven - can you do a sun/mon?

Wsdot is currently projecting the road to be open fully by saturday, as advertised (it avalanched on the way to Diablo last week), though I will still check one more time.

Departure time likely 5:00am - I can take 4 passengers.

I'll stop by Shultzy's tonight on the way home -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 pm 
UW Climber

Sure I could try Sunday and Monday. I do have a good amount of homework but I'll just get it done Friday/Saturday. Any idea when on Monday we would be home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:09 pm 
UW Climber

I'd be up for this. Days don't matter to me other than whenever the weather is best. Is anyone else thinking of bringing skis or have we settled on snowshoes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:20 pm 
UW Climber

I'm up for the trip as long as you have room. Let me know and ill pick up some snowshoes/skis depending on what you decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:24 pm 
Moss Man

Looks like a good crew!

So far the 5 of us can probably all fit in my car, one more and we'll need another driver.

Looks like the consensus is for Sun/Mon. We are looking clear at the moment on the radar through tuesday. Early 5:00 am departure on sunday, probably something like 8pm at the latest on monday return.

Go ahead and send me an email or call, to arrange a ride in the morning:

kevinsteffa@gmail.com

p.s. I might bring my AT skis if someone else does, and is confident about it, otherwise the snowshoes will be easiest -- skiing conditions lately have been reported as 'breakable crust'.

One more thing - an ice axe or whippet pole will be useful for the top 1000' of the climb, especially if the snow re-freezes a lot at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 am 
UW Climber

Have a good time guys, I can't do the Sun/Mon thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:08 am 
UW Climber

hey man I'm going to have to stay since I have some unexpected business that the family wants to do. I'll hit you up next time