[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Low angle snowshoeing / ski touring [updated 1-04 at 23:00]

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:42 am 
One Armed Wonder

Damn, that weather forecast changed since early this morning, when it was going to give us a bit more time before rain/slush/snow. It looks like towards the passes will have patches of areas where it is only snowing, but not necessarily everywhere, making this an unpleasant trip.
The following site is where I'm checking. I don't know where Brian is checking his

I started writing up info for people an whatnot, but I guess that is not so useful. I was hoping to headup to commonwealth basin, but alas, it looks like it will be slushing.

The avalanche conditions are considerable, meaning that in avalanche prone terrain it is possible a natural avy will happen, while a human triggered avy is probable. And if it starts to rain, it can further increase danger as we saw with the Hyak slide.

If there are some that might want to go out and practice w/ avy beacons or pits let me know. I might be game. Otherwise It looks like Brian's suggestion is a good one: we'll postpone this trip 'till next weekend, when the weather is hopefully nicer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:02 pm 
giving spoon

beacon / pit practice would be good, I'd still be up for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:22 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

I checked out a beacon and probe and I'd love to learn how to use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:10 pm 
UW Climber

So I'm in the process of borrowing an avy beacon and have never used one, and would like to learn how...if folks are thinking of going out and playing around with the beacons I'd be interested... Are there any firm plans to do this? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:19 pm 
One Armed Wonder

I think there are firm plans. It would involve the trip up to SnoQ pass where there is more chance for snow and less of rain, or a similar location with snow and nearby parking or a brief 'hike'. We don't want to go too far, 'cause as Alpine Sloth mentioned to me a bit ago, it would suck to go up there and have roads closed when trying to come back!

So far it seems like we have a good quorum to have some fun learning. The people I see are:
Zoe
David
Chris

Anyone else?

I would imagine leaving, not too late nor early, get up to the pass/our destination around 9:00ish. There we would tool around for 2-3 hours, and then head back, hopefully stopping by the Rogue brewhouse in Issaquah for a slightly late lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:14 pm 
UW Climber

Weather...FAIL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:19 pm 
UW Climber

sounds like fun, tell me where to be when. I don't have chains and was planning on not driving, is that ok? Also, we should definitely include the Rogue brewhouse in these plans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:32 pm 
giving spoon

I just spoke with Ian and here is the plan...

Meet at the 65th P&R @ 7:45am

Remember to bring:

warm clothing
beacon
shovel
treking poles (if you have them)
rain gear
snacks
money for the brewhouse

see you in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:00 pm 
UW Climber

I'd like to get some practice. Is there still room for an extra person to come along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:06 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

I don't have a good mountain car but I can switch and get an SUV if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
UW Climber

PS: Is the 65th P & R south of madrona?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:49 pm 
giving spoon

I'm not sure where madrona is, but the 65th p & r is right under I-5, on N 65th street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:02 am 
UW Climber

If we're talking about the Madrona neighborhood, the 65th park & ride is very much not south of Madrona.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:13 am 
One Armed Wonder

my car holds 4, and 5 in an uncomfortable pinch... there should be roomh