[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Low angle snowshoeing / ski touring [updated 1-04 at 23:00]

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:44 am 
Cap'n Posthole

I'm interested.
I have a friend's Ojibwe Indian style Snowshoes but I might want to get some urbans.
I also need probe and beacon.
If needed I can arrange a 4x4 car and take 3-6.

Post subject: This weekend
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:46 pm 
UW Climber

Hello people,
I'm brand spankin new to your posts, and would love to check out the situation up in the hills. I am not available on Saturday, but can go on Sunday, and will continue to check the posts to see what day you folks decide to go. I've got all necessary equipment (beacon, probe, shovel, really old and used split board, and skins that are falling apart but still adequate enough), but my vehicle (a Jetta) is not so good in the snow. If you decide on Sunday, I'm in.

Cheers,

Brad
841-7282

Post subject: Oh, P.S.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 pm 
UW Climber

David,
I've got a pair of MSR snowshoes if you need them, but no extra probe or beacon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:59 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested for either day. I would need a ride, but can wrangle the necessary gear myself (I'll need some club snowshoes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Given the conditions and forecast, it is looking Like Saturday will be a much more pleasant day for the trip. Additionally, looking at makes me less keen on going to things that are East of Snoqualmie Pass, unless we want to only dig pits. Commonwealth, or the Marten Creek trail are my choices at the moment. But the things around Blewitt Pass are still a possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:51 pm 
UW Climber

I'd like to go, all I need is a beacon so I'll pay my dues and try to snag one tomorrow.

I have an AWD Subaru (studded tires & chains) that can take 3 total with skis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:22 pm 
UW Climber

Well, hopefully no one is planning on going to Hyak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:23 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Ha, yeah, I posted that almost at the same time as you int he Idle talk section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:27 pm 
UW Climber

Whoa, I didn't see that. You beat me to it.

Yes, pretty amazing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:29 pm 
UW Climber

I'd like to come!

Will need a ride (I live at 15th & Denny), and will re-check out snowshoes and electronic-avalance-devices-that-I've-never-handled-before tomorrow.

- Jenni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm 
One Armed Wonder

As this there fairly high interest in the number of climbers wishing to check out beacons this will be a limiting factor in your ability go, if we end up traveling in avalanche terrain.

As of now, the road conditions have left I-5 S Closed and I-90 Closed, as well as the option of Blewitt Pass Washed out. The forecast has also started to look less pleasant (greater chance of rain).

The conditions might not necessarily deter those of strong mountain will to go out, but it will certainly make the trip less pleasant. We will be re-evaluating road conditions tomorrow, but at the moment we are looking at Marten Creek on the Mt. Loop highway or thereabouts. At the moment there seems to be about an equal number going on long-skinnies and on short-fatties. Quite unfortunately, the weather (rain) will likely make skinning/skiing a less pleasant option, so you may reconsider your form of transportation.

The heavy raining causing potential for landslides on the road or on trail, may make us reconsider this weekend a good idea for larger group travel. We will keep you informed as time progresses. If you have any keen insights, please share!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:36 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

According to the current run of the weather model, the front will be coming in from the northwest and hit the central Cascades in the early afternoon. The front will bring with it a significant warming trend, with snow levels rising from 1500' to over 5000'.

My experience is that the models tend to be a little fast on bringing the fronts in and a little slow on kicking them out, so I think the best option may be for a shorter day on Saturday with an early start so we're on our way back when the rain/snow really kicks in.

If we wait until Sunday, it may take a long time into the day to dry out and additional heavy rains could further destabilize the snowpack (would also involve snowshoeing through glop).

Since the rain is coming in from the north, the further south we are, the better, so I think something on the I-90 corridor would be the best bet. Final destination would depend on the timing of the rain, avy danger, and how much the flood waters have receded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:03 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 am 
UW Climber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:40 am 
Alpine Slogger