[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Low angle snowshoeing / ski touring [updated 1-04 at 23:00]

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:26 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Looking for a good hike to reveal the coolness of winter travel to new, old, and potential climbing club members. Some avy beacon of beacon practice will possibly be thrown in as well.

1. Meeting Place/Time
Saturday or Sunday the 10th or 11th, Weather and location depending.

2. Estimated Return Time
Location dependent. Don't want to get back super late, so around ~8:00.

3. Transportation Details
We'll drive there, unless you've gotten your teleportation working. If you are interested, let us know if you can drive and how many you can take. Be sure to have chains and emergency car-gear (like blankets) if you drive!

4. Trip Details
Looking to do a lower-angle ski tour or snow-shoe trip, depending on Avalanche, weather and road conditions. My suggestions are:

Kendal peak Lakes 9 miles, 1700 ft gain.
Commonwealth Basin up to 10 miles, 2300 ft.
Hex Peak 7 miles, 2600 ft.
Cooper River 8 miles 400 ft. (backup if crazy conditions)
Indian Creek 8-14 miles, up to 1300 ft.
A number of places a Blewitt pass
Marten Creek trail along the Mountain Loop

5. Gear Required
Winter clothing.
Snow shoes and poles or...
Touring equipment (boots,poles,skis and skins)
Avy beacon/probe/shovel IF we go to a location involving anything slightly dangerous. If this is the case, there will be a *requirement* that avy beacons and rescue are carried. These can be rented from the HUB office, but there is a limited #. So if you're thinking of coming, rent them asap.

6. Contact Info
PM me for specific information you want.

Last edited by Ian Derrington on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:27 pm 
One Armed Wonder

I'm going.
I have a car and room for 3 ppl.
I have my needed gear.

Last edited by Ian Derrington on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:31 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Commonwealth Basin works pretty well, as does the Marten Creek trail along the Mountain Loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:17 am 
Alpine Slogger

I'm interested, weather permiting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:41 am 
Mountain Rhombus

Count me in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 am 
giving spoon

I may be up for that, I was hoping to find an overnight trip this weekend, but the avy conditions are awful and getting worse right now, so that seems unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:59 pm 
UW Climber

I am in. I also have a minivan with chains/ice tires/ski racks, and I can fit myself and six others. I have a beacon and shovel, but will need to check out a probe.

On another note I would love to try out my AT skis. I have skis and skins, but I'm missing the boots. Is it possible to rent AT boots at feathered friends or someplace? Or does someone maybe magically have an extra pair of size 28 AT boots around I might be able to borrow? I could always snowshoe if nothing else works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:01 pm 

Kevin:

I know that Feathered Friends and Pro Ski up on Aurora definitely rent boots.

Also - I don't suppose you have two snowshoes for the same foot? Somehow I've ended up with two right feet and wondered if things might have gotten mixed up when we did Stillaguamish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 am 
giving spoon

Considering the conditions up there right now, we may spend most of our time doing snow pack analysis - which would be great to practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:13 am 

My expectation is that by Saturday/Sunday conditions will be much calmer than present. The rising temperatures and heavy rain today and tomorrow will set off a significant avalanche cycle, but by Saturday that will probably have run its course and no significant new snow is forecasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:54 pm 
UW Climber

Hex Peak might be a pretty safe bet if avy conditions are iffy. You are on a road for half the time and then you can either stay on the road until it reaches the ridge further to the north (where you walk/skin through a young regenerating conifer stand that might offer some stability...and some good turns). If taking the ridge from further south, it is pretty safe, assuming you don't venture onto the cornices. The upper part of the ridge is all forested, so no issues there.

...and I am a maybe for the trip. I have all the gear except beacon.

Post subject: me too
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in and am up for whatever conditions permit.
I'll need a ride.
I have all needed gear except for beacon/probe which I plan to check out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:59 pm 
UW Climber

Im up for something.
Id like a ride.
I'll need to check out a probe and beacon and snow shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:48 pm 
UW Climber

What day are you guys thinking about doing this trip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:14 am 
One Armed Wonder

Right now Saturday is looking like the best conditions for weather, though not necessarily the best for settling of additional snow . As the destination will also influence our departure, we will hopefully know better and by tomorrow's meeting or definitely by Thursday.