[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Post-finals Scramble

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Overnight or daytrip??
Overnight 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Daytrip 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1
 Post subject: Post-finals Scramble
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:42 pm 
UW Climber

So in-light of finals week coming up and my dire need to study the whole weekend, I was curious if perhaps some people who are finished with finals early would like to head out for a day trip on Thursday 12/11.

I'm looking through my '75 Scrambles' book and Silver Peak off of I-90 looked pretty nice (9mi RT, ~4000' gain, 5605' summit).

The extended weather forecast looks like rain/snow, but the forecasted snow level is 3500' so maybe it'll just be snow! If anyone has more info about the conditions in that area or a different spot they've been looking at I would definitely be interested.

I'm also itching to try out my new Hilleberg so if people are interested in an overnight I could probably be persuaded, I was looking at mount Daniel in the alpine lakes wilderness as a overnight option (16mi, 5200' gain, 7960' summit).

I have a minivan with snow tires so I should be able to take 6ppl + myself just about anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:11 pm 
UW Climber

So it looks like people aren't available for anything this week, how about this weekend? The forecast is snow for Saturday, but Sunday is partially sunny.

I'm just eager to get out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:10 pm 
Alpine Slogger

I would be interested, what do you have in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:14 pm 
Alpine Slogger

We'll need to watch the weather pretty closely, still calling for 2ft of snow in some places through Sat. These systems tend to get stuck sometimes too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 pm 
UW Climber

Id also be interesting in something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm 
UW Climber

So Brian and I talked at the ski tuning party last night. We decided to try for silver peak off I-90. I just checked the NOAA site for the weather, they're calling for a 70% chance of snow in the area.

So I guess we just watch and wait, I don't know if going up in a storm like this is the best idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:03 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I would actually recommend against silver peak if there's anything between a light dusting of snow and say >6 inches. The massive talus slope that gives the peak its name, up which you must ascend above Annette Lake, is a bitch in dry warm weather just because it's annoying and long. In wet/snowy weather, it wouldn't be unsafe from an avalanche perspective, at least not early in the season, but would be downright miserable if the slope were covered in a light dusting of snow, since it would be really difficult to see the rocks and they would be quite slippery.

Then again, if thats what you're looking for, have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:58 pm 
Burly Skinner

I've done Silver, one attempt in winter conditions and once in the summer. Based on the weather snowshoes will be required (I don't have any though, so may sit this out) and expect some pretty hellish trailbreaking. The talus field is big, avoidable in the winter, and I don't think will be much of an issue with a couple feet of snow on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:48 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I agree that with several feet of snow on it the talus field would be fine, although strenuous. just with little snow it will suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:12 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

Count me in for something, I'm usually up for something miserable too, so you can chose my adventure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:41 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Craig- Did you get the last 10,000' yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:57 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

No i haven't done much of anything lately...and I don't really have time now, unless i go crazy this weekend, which I don't think I want to do with all the snow. I'll have to find a hill in Illinois and go up it 100 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:19 pm 
UW Climber

So it sounds like the weather might be ok tomorrow, and Silver Peak might have enough snow to be doable.

The other option is Mt. Baker, it opens tomorrow. We could also go skiing at the resort, if hiking in the snow isn't everybody's cup of tea.

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:55 pm 
Alpine Slogger

Personally, I'm not so excited about Silver in these conditions, Baker sounds like a reasonalble option. I think my wife and I will head up that way tomorrow, I think Craig and his roomate might also go. I can take one or two others in my car if they can get to Shoreline, also we will have to leave at 3pm to get back to town.

We will plan on leaving seattle at 6:30 to be there at opening, and will go to White Salmon. Give me a call if anyone wants a ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:35 pm 
UW Climber

My roommate and myself are going to head up that way as well. We can offer a ride to anyone in the U-district/Montlake area if anyone is interested. We'll leave around 6:00 or so to get up there for the first lift. My phone is 425-985-1242 so we can meet up there. Also if anyone has radios I'll be tuning mine to channel 7-11.

Hope to see you up there.

Kevin