[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Beginner rock at Vantage

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beginner rock at Vantage
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Hi all,

I’m organizing a trip to Vantage this weekend. Let’s get out of the Seattle drizzle and enjoy some sunshine and warm rock! I’d like to get a group together with all skill levels. So, if you haven’t climbed before or just want more practice, this is the trip for you. If you have some experience on rock and want to learn a bit more about leading, Vantage is great spot for a first sport lead with very generous bolting. If you’re not quite ready to be on the sharp end, I’ll have extra ropes for mock leads too. I’ll also need some experience rope leaders to help out.

This will be an overnight trip for most. We will be essentially car-camping (just a 5 min hike in).

We’ll depart from the Burke Museum at 7:00 am on Saturday and return Sunday night. If you can’t make both days, there is one car that will be going for just Saturday and can take 3 passengers.

There are no prerequisites for this trip. Knowing how to belay would be a plus though.

Food:
I'm thinking a group dinner and breakfast might be fun.
I'll bring pasta and sauce (perhaps a red sauce and an alfredo) for dinner on Saturday. I also have a stove to cook on.
I'm also going to bring oatmeal with brown sugar and raisens for breakfast. Bring stuff for yourself for lunch and snacks and, if you want, you can bring something to share for dinner/breakfast. Also bring a dish for yourself and eating utensils. And don't forget bring lots of water!

Campfire
Great news! The ban on open fires in the area ends on October 15th. So we're are definately going to have a campfire.

Required gear:
Harness
Helmet (can borrow from IMA)
Rock Shoes
Bring lots of water: there isn’t any at Vantage.

Required if staying overnight:
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag

Optional if you have it:
Quickdraws
Rope
Belay device
Personal Anchor
Bring a tent if you have one.
Fish and Wildlife parking permit (any car without a permit can pick one up in Vantage on the way out)

If you are coming respond with:
1. Can you drive and how many passengers can you take
2. Experience on rock
3. Can you bring a rope and/or quickdraws
4. If you have a tent or need space in one

Here's the carpool and tent info. If I have "tent" by your name, bring a tent and we should have enough for everyone. We'll figure out who goes in what tent later. Let me know if I missed someone in this!
Also: Cars #4,6,7 and 8 Need a F&W permit. Someone from each of those cars should pick up one at Big 5 on the Ave today.

Carpool:
Car #1:
Val: driver (tent)
Thomas Clark (tent)

Car #2:
Evan (2 tents)
Annalisa
Kris (tent)
Mel

Car #3: Return Saturday Night
Ben: driver
Magali +1
Sarah

Car #4: Arrive Saturday evening
Erik: driver
Brett (tent)

Car #5: Hangin' in E-burg on Friday night
Grace: driver
Allison?

Car#6: From Bellingham
Hayley (tent)
Nick
+1 more

Car #7
Ian: driver (tent)
Jeff Walters
Kurt

Car #8
Kyle and Friends
I'm assuming you guys have your own tent stuff figured out. Let me know if you need space somewhere.

Last edited by Valerie Wall on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:39 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Thanks for reminding me about the parking issue there V.
I kind of rushed a bit on that post. I'll edit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:39 pm 
UW Climber

I'm definitely interested for this weekend and will need a ride and a spot in a tent (or can borrow one from the club). Does the club have shoes/harness/helmet for borrow? I'm happy going all weekend or just saturday depending on how rides work out. My climbing experience is just the Mazama trip a few weeks ago but I'm enthusiastic to learn more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm 
UW Climber

I can only check out items at the HUB (not IMA), is there a way to check out shoes and helmet from HUB??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:48 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Sarah all of the shoes we have are in the HUB, so if there's a size there that fits you, check them out. As for the helmets, if you were to perhaps ask another club member nicely to check one out for you from the IMA, they could probably get one for you.

Post subject: i'm in!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:42 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested in climbing sat/sun, although I'll probably head out of town friday night and crash at my parents' place instead of camp out. This is my first season climbing and have only been sport climbing once before and have never lead-climbed. I feel pretty comfortable on .8s. I have my own belay device but no rope or quick draws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:24 pm 
UW Climber

hey i'd like to come along if possible. i have a rope, anchors, only a couple draws, a tent with room for one more, two extra pair of shoes if anyone needs them (sizes eur 42 and 39-about 9 and 6.5), all the other required gear, but i do not have a car and would need a ride. i'm also fairly experienced with climbing and would probably be fine to lead (generally around 5.8 5.9 in the past) although i haven't in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:03 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I will be coming, as will Annelisa. I might have to leave early afternoon on Sunday.

1. I can drive and take 2-3 others, depending on gear. Annelisa can also drive and take 3+ lots of gear.
2. Plenty of experience on rock, including several trips to Vantage. I suppose I would qualify as one of the more experienced people to lead things. I'd be willing to lead 10s and maybe an 11.
3. I can bring 2 ropes and 14 sport draws.
4. I can bring 2 tents (2man) if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:43 pm 
UW Climber

I missed the last rock trip, so Id like to make this one.

1. I'd like a spot in a car.
2. No experience on rock.
3. No rope/quick draws.
4. Can bring a tent (2-3), but its not that great.

PS: I heard about a lost and found for the beginner ice climbing trip, does anyone know something about this? The back and strap of one of my rented crampons came off (its red).

Last edited by Kurt Zogorski on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:49 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

Man, that would be kinda weird if someone had a 'quick drawl' huh? how would that even work?

Kurt, Brian has the missing part of your crampon. Send him a PM about it or reply on the trip report thread, on the off chance he doesn't read your post here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm 
UW Climber

Yeah, LOL, my bad and it wouldn't work. (I edited my post).

Well, thats a relief about the crampon. Ill talk to Brian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:53 pm 
Snaffle Whisperer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:56 am 
The Shepherd

I'll add that we also have a guide book, and for those interested in playing with gear, I'll be bringing my trad rack as well.

I can lead in the 10's and may jump on an 11 if I'm feeling good.

On the parking issue, does anyone know if you need a permit to park on the feathers side rather than at the "trailhead". If not, we can probably shuttle people over with their gear if camping in the bowl is the plan. Otherwise, perhaps we can figure how many cars are coming and have one person purchase the appropriate number of fish and wildlife permits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 am 
UW Climber

The Washington Fish and Wildlife Vehicle Use Permits are available at a number of Fred Meyers or Big 5 stores, including the Big 5 on Univ. Ave.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lic/vendors/vendors.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:51 am 
UW Climber

I would like to come along and help out with the trip. I can lead up to 5.9 sport or 5.8 trad, and I could really use the practice. I have a 60 m rope (and I can bring the 50 m along too if you think that would be useful), quickdraws, trad gear, etc. I will have a full car driving down from Bellingham on Saturday morning, but we'll try to be in Seattle around 7 am to meet up with you guys. Can't wait!