[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Tuesday Night Hike

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tuesday Night Hike
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:08 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Attention Night Owls: At the beginning of the quarter, I talked about trying to get together a night hike and I think this Tuesday is as good a time as any. I think Mt. Pilchuck would be a good destination, but am open to hikes that are closer to the city or shorter in distance in elevation.

The forecast is for snow showers on Monday and Monday night, with a total accumulation of about 5" above 4000'. The forecast for Tuesday is sunny, but cool and for Tuesday night clear skies and cool temperatures. In an ideal case, this would mean that the trail to the Pilchuck lookout will have some snow on it, but there would also be a layer of snow glowing in the moonlight.

I'm thinking we'd leave Seattle at 6 PM (once traffic has died down) and would probably be back around 1 AM.

The stats for Pilchuck:
6 miles RT
2200' elevation gain

There is a lookout on the top to get out of the cold. There is a trail the whole way, but it is fairly rocky and could be slippery with new snow. If it's really slick, we'll pull the plug and turn around early.

Given that there will probably be some snow on the ground, I would suggest that everyone bring boots. Trekking poles would also be good for balance on any icy rocks. Everyone must have a headlamp or flashlight.

If interested, respond to this post (or send me a PM) letting me know if you can drive (or need a ride) or suggesting alternative destinations.

Last edited by Brian Polagye on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:09 pm 

I'll plan on going and can drive 3 others. To stave off my tendency to conk out at 11 pm I'll plan to drink some tea in the afternoon or *shudder* drink a red bull before we leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:17 pm 
UW Climber

Alright, so this sounds like a good plan but I think I may split off from the group, either going partway on the Pilchuck trail or going to the Pinnacle Lake trailhead and scrambling to the Bathtub Lakes. I have been wanting to go there for a while, and now seems like a good time as it may be the last chance this year.

I would be leaving much earlier than the proposed 6 PM... I get out of class at 12:30, so if anyone wants to come with me, that's when I'd be heading out from the U-district. It sounds like I might be able to make a traverse of it and meet you guys later on or something, so depending on who wants to go and how strenuous you want there are several options. Although if there really is 5" of snow up where the trail splits off from Pilchuck, that might not be a great option (steep).

I have room for 3 other people, and I have extra lights if anyone needs anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:18 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I'd love to go, but unfortunately 1AM return time is just too late for me midweek :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:19 pm 
UW Climber

Evan, I might be able to get back earlier if you're able to leave earlier. That's pretty late for me too, as I have to be up at 6:30 :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:30 pm 

Ryan - to get to the Bathtub Lakes, you'd probably want to leave from a different trailhead than we would. To reach the Bathtub Lakes from the Pilchuck trailhead, you'd nearly go to the summit and then descend some fairly loose terrain, which would probably be unpleasant when covered by a few inches of snow.

All - I would be fine leaving earlier as well, but we'd probably need to get out of Seattle by 3 pm to avoid spending a lot of time sitting in rush hour traffic in either Seattle or Everett.

So I guess the two options are:
1. Leave Seattle around 3 pm, return around 10pm (summit around sunset)
2. Leave Seattle around 6 pm, return around 1 am (summit at night)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:40 am 
UW Climber

Yeah, I have heard the same thing about the route that way, and according to the news there will be snow up there after today, so I will probably take the lower route from pinnacle lake trailhead. The road there is closed 1.5 mile before the TH too, so this might end up being an interesting trip. Depending on how I feel tomorrow and the weather, I may just wait and go with you guys instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:42 am 
The Shepherd

Is this instead of the hike Nov. 8th, or one in addition to it? I know that the later one would be weather dependent, but it is planned for a Saturday if people are unable to do a mid week thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:08 am 
UW Climber

If we go for the leave-at-6 option, I'll come. I have class until 5, so I can't leave earlier than that. I'm planning on riding with Brian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:20 am 

Kris - since I can't predict the weather in November, I thought I'd just go for the current weather window. If we get another sometime in November, we could do that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 am 
UW Climber

I was up there yesterday...minimal ice on the trail on the north facing aspects...but I know that'll change by then...so heads up for ice beneath the snow and have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:39 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Sweet! There are other people out there that enjoy hiking by headlamp!
I would like to go too.
The 6pm departure time would be best for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:52 am 
UW Climber

I'd like to go, but have a nasty Chem midterm at 8:30 the next morning. :cry:

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:04 am 
UW Climber

This sounds awesome, especially because I work on weekends and so have been missing out on great sounding adventures. I do have lecture until 8:30pm, so I cannot come -- I hope it's great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:05 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

Brian, I'm so disappointed in you.