The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mellow Trip this Weekend
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:43 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Since a number of people at the meeting last night were interested in a more mellow trip this weekend than a 20 mile thru hike (which I totally understand), I'm putting this up to get people started on organizing such an outing.

I would suggest the following as good options in the area (and can give further details if there's interest)

1. Lake 22 (Mountain Loop Highway): 5 miles RT, 2500' gain. 1.5 hr drive.
2. Ingalls Lake (Teanaway River Road): 8 miles RT, ~2000' gain. 2 hr drive. Should be great for larch viewing.
3. Melakwa Lake (I-90): 8 miles RT, ~2000' gain. 1.5 hr drive.

Anyone interested in getting something organized?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:00 am 
UW Climber

I'm interested in maybe doing Lake Ingalls on Sunday - I've done it before and the larches are amazing. I may be able to borrow a car but if someone else could drive I'd supply maps and homemade cookies.
-Lucia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:48 am 
UW Climber

I may be able to go Sunday, and Ingalls I would so do again. I will let you know if I can get Sunday off, as unlike Saturday I know someone who would like to work Sunday.

I would also consider going to the Bathtub Lakes on Mt. Pilchuck on Saturday, but that means I would have to get back by 5 for work, and that means an early start. I live in Lynnwood so it's not bad for me, I've done it plenty of times, but I'd probably not be able to take people back down to Seattle then. But I can do other stuff on Saturday if people are interested but can't drive, maybe something easy off I-90. Anyway, I'm interested in going somewhere this weekend, so those are my ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:26 am 
UW Climber

I'd be OK with Sat too if it's an early return - I too have to be back to Seattle around 5:30ish. I have no problem taking the bus back from lynnwood if I could get dropped at a park n ride. And larch lake or bathtub lakes both sound fine (although it's depressing to go to bathtub lakes and not be able to swim).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:19 pm 
UW Climber

If you guys end up going on Sunday, I would definitely be interested in going on a larch jaunt . I don't have a car but do have chocolate cover apricots :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:52 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I would definitely recommend either ingalls or malekwa lakes. Both are pretty spectacular, although this time of year I think ingalls will be hard to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:59 am 
UW Climber

Ok, so here is the deal. I cannot go Sunday, but I think something along I-90 would work well for tomorow (saturday). So far we have Melakwa Lake, which is closest and would probably give us the most time for messing around. If someone will go with me on a scramble of Kaleetan or something, that's my choice. Something a little further is the Rampart Lakes, which are very beautiful, and I've heard are nice in the fall (I've done the lakes on a deadline before, so it should work). Ingalls is a pretty far drive, so I don't think I will be able to do this and still get back home on time. There are also several easy peaks around if people would rather go somewhere high.

I'm willing to get up and give rides as early as people prefer to start. Usually that means leaving by 7 for me. I have 3 extra spots in my car, so just let me know who needs a ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:04 pm 
UW Climber

Sounds like Sat with an early return is the most popular - and I'm willing to do any hike/scramble that doesn't require ropes. I live on capitol hill but I can meet a carpool anywhere reasonably accessible by bike or bus from there. I'd prefer closer to 7:30 or 8 than 7 am - that should still be plenty of time. I may not be able to check this thread again until late tonight, but if a driver picks a meeting place and a time I'll be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:27 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Kaleetan's a great scramble, but watch the route finding - particularly on the way down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:49 pm 
UW Climber

Alright, well I think meeting at 8 somewhere will be good. So far it sounds like Lucia and I are going Saturday probably to Melakwa Lake, anyone else who wants to go can post here, or call me at 425-773-8636, and by tomorrow morning we can decide where to meet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:23 am 
UW Climber

Well, I haven't heard back from anyone, so I'm headed out. Again call me at 425-773-8638 before 8 and I can pick you up if anyone else is going, I can stop and pick you up.