[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Vesper Peak Hike/Scramble - Sunday, September 28th

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:56 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

This is my attempt at organizing a moderate hike/scramble for club members new and old. The destination is Vesper Peak on the Mountain Loop Highway. The hike is about 8 miles round trip, with 4000' of elevation gain. There is a trail to beneath Vesper Peak (steep an rough at times) and then an easy scramble (class 2) to the summit. No specialized gear required, just weather appropriate clothing, a pack to carry extra clothes, food and water, and a study pair of shoes or boots with good soles. Trekking poles are also fairly helpful. With a little luck, we may even have a view or two.

If you're interested in coming along please post below indicating:
1. if you have a car (and how many you can take) or if you need a ride
2. if you are lacking waterproof or warm clothing
3. if you'd like a pair of trekking poles or a daypack to get checked out of the IMA for your use
4. what your level of experience is hiking or scrambling.

I'll maintain a master list for the trip at the bottom of this post.

I expect that we'll be leaving Seattle around 7 am on Sunday morning from the Burke museum and will probably get back sometime in the evening, time dependent on whether we stop for food on the way back.

----Weather and Gear Update (9/27 11:30 am)----
Forecast for tomorrow is persistently clear with light winds and moderate temperatures. I would suggest bringing along a warmer layer and a wind breaker of some kind, since the Mountain Loop is notoriously unpredictable.

With the warmer weather, I'd suggest that everyone take 2L of water. Running out of water is not a good thing.

There are two stream crossings without bridges near the start of the hike. Easier to navigate if you're wearing waterproof boots, but should probably be able to get through without too much trouble in sneakers.

-----Current Headcount (9/27 11:30 am)----

Total: 35 (yikes!)
Car Slots: 40 (looks good!)

Drivers will need a NW Forest Pass (can purchase on the way up)

If you have a car, drive it to the Burke and you can leave it in the lot if you don't end up driving

Brian Polagye (car + 3)
Jim Prager (car + 3)
Chris Moorehead
Evan Jewett (car + 3)
Annelisa Tornberg
Obadiah Reid
Emmett Weismann
Eric Meier (car +3)
Micah Babinski
Jackie
Jacquie Hansen (car + 3)
Eina Ooka
Nathan Kurz
Michelle
Wendy
Ethan Welty
Craig Weiland (car + 3)
Brian Wright (car + 3)
Kris Haskins
Valerie Wall (car)
Anna
James Sadler
Sean Michael
Michael Schmitz (car + 3)
Drew Collins
Alex Stanovsky
Zoe Harrold (car + 3)
Kurt Zogorski
Karl Lang (car)
Jon Weiner
Ian Derrington (car + 3)
Ecrument Cahan
John Deichsel
Paolo Denti
Roman Kogan

Last edited by Brian Polagye on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:59 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Planning to attend.

1. Have a car and can drive 3 other people.
2. have all the warm and waterproof clothing I need
3. don't need poles or a pack
4. I'm the experienced hiker of the climbing club :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:20 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

Planning on attending

1. Have car (me +3)
2. have all the warm and waterproof clothing I need
3. Have poles + pack
4. I've been up Vesper 5 times before!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37 am 
giving spoon

I think I can make this trip- 95%. It would be nice to take the * off my ascent of this peak.

1. Xnay on the car
2. Clothing? What clothing?
3. Don't need poles
4. I've climbed up the hill from the Pike Place Market before, does that count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:33 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

Last edited by Evan Jewett on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:41 pm 
Longshanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:09 pm 
UW Climber

hell yes

1. no car
2. got it
3. kinda got it
4. noob status

let me know if i can hitch a ride otherwise I have a motorcycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in.

- Have car and can bring 3 others.
- Climbed a lot of trees in Texas. Started on rock in UT in 1992.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:07 am 
UW Climber

1. Car is F'ed
2. I have warm stuff
3. Check
4. A lot of backpacking and getting into alpine climbing
5. Emmett! Yeah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:10 pm 
UW Climber

1. No car
2. Yes clothes
3. No thanks!
4. UhHm TBD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:56 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in!!

1. Have Car with room for me and three
2.all necessary clothing
3. got it covered
4. Hiking mountains since I was a teen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:58 pm 
UW Climber

Can I also join you guys?

1. no car
2. I have some
3. got them
4. some good experience

eina (a former UW student)

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:42 am 
UW Climber

Why not, a last trip in the N. Cascades before going south of the equator for a few weeks. No car, willing/able to ride in a trunk, got gear, and have forgotten the rest of the stipulations.

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:43 am 
UW Climber

I'm coming along up Vesper Peak. I'm hoping Brian will let me ride in his car (as long as I promise not to bring a large dog.) I have all the gear I need.
I tried to make it up Vesper once before, but got too tired and turned around (which is why I need a large dog to pull me up the mountain.) Hopefully I'm in better shape now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 am 
UW Climber

I'd like to come along!
1. no car
2. got clothes
3. nope
4. i think this'll be okay