[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - SNOW SCHOOL - Sunday, May 11th

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:51 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

This post will be updated to reflect information about gear, location, etc.

Snow School this year will be on Sunday, May 11th at Paradise on Mt. Rainier. This will cover proper use of an ice axe, crevasse rescue, and general glacier travel skills. We will be departing from the Burke Museum at 7:00 am and returning in the evening with a probable stop for dinner. Drivers and passengers will be responsible for splitting the cost of gas and the park entrance fee ($15).

If you have no experience in this area, you will need to attend the skills session on May 7th from 5:30-7:30 at the HUB.

On Sunday, there will be teams of four practicing together.

Each rope team will require:
1. 1 rope (60m)
2. 2 pickets w/ slings
3. 1 rescue pulley

Each member of the rope team will require:
1. Harness (added)
2. 1 locking carabiner
3. 2 non-locking carabiners
4. 2 prussiks
5. Helmet
6. Ice axe

The IMA has a lot of ice axes and a few helmets. The HUB office has three pickets, three harnesses, and three pulleys.

Post the following below:
- if you plan to attend Snow School as someone who wants to learn or someone who wants to teach
- if you plan to attend the meeting on the 7th as someone who wants to learn or someone who wants to teach
- rope team equipment which you can contribute
- whether you have a car or need a ride

Teaching
Teaching/Learning

Jim Prager
Obadiah Reid
Eric Meier
Brian Polagye (room for 3)
Oscar Lilienthal (room for 3)
Craig Weiland (room for 3)
Mehul Suthar (room for 3)
Mike Decker (room for ?)
Barbara Karabin
Kyle Armour
Brian Doehle
David Schruth
Matt Luzum (car, how many?)
Evan Jewett
Annelisa Tornberg
Ethan Welty (ankle permitting)
Martin Riedel
Bill Corrigan

----TRIP UPDATE----

Weather forecast for Sunday calls for a chance of snow showers with a higher around 39 degrees and moderate winds. Practicing crevasse rescue tends to be a rather cold activity and involves standing around so I would recommend that everyone:
1. bring warmer layers (top and bottom) than usual
2. bring a thermos with a warm drink (hot chocolate, tea, etc.)

----DRIVER UPDATE----

Since there are showers forecasted, the road up to Rainier may have a little snow on it, but probably not very much. Passenger cars should be fine. However, Rainier sometimes requires that all vehicles (including all wheel drive) carry a set of chains, so all vehicles should have chains (even though I don't expect that we'll need them).

These are mostly just suggestions. However, I'd like all the trip teachers in a single car on the drive up so we can do a little last minute organizational planning. Everyone else is free to split up however they like, but it looks like we'll have enough cars for everyone who wants to go.

Car #1
Brian Polagye
Obadiah Reid
Eric Meier
Jim Prager

Car #2
Oscar Lillenthal
Barabara Karabin
Kyle Armour
Brian Doehle

Car #3
Craig Weiland
David Schurth
Evan Jewett
Analisa Tornberg

Car #4
Mehul Suthar
Matt Luzum
Ethan Welty

Car #5
Mike Decker
Martin Riedel
Bill Corrigan

----GROUP UPDATE----

Check next to your name for equipment you're on the hook for. If you're bringing pickets, make sure these have slings and non-locking 'biners attached. If you have equipment that you'd like to bring anyway for the practice/training weight (like additional pickets or pulleys) that's fine too, but you don't need to.

Group #1
Brian Polagye (pickets)
Barabara Karabin
Kyle Armour (rope)
Ethan Welty (pulleys)

Group #2
Obadiah Reid (rope, picket, pulleys)
Brian Doehle
Martin Riedel
Craig Weiland
David Schurth

Group #3
Jim Prager (picket, pulley)
Evan Jewett (rope, pulley)
Analisa Tornberg
Mehul Suthar
Matt Luzum (picket)

Group #4
Eric Meier (pulleys)
Oscar Lillenthal (pickets)
Mike Decker (rope)
Bill Corrigan

Last edited by Brian Polagye on Sat May 10, 2008 7:13 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:52 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

I'm interested in coming on Sunday as someone who mostly wants to teach.

I have a rope, two pickets, and a pulley. I have all the necessary personal gear.

Have a car and can take three others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 pm 
UW Climber

I will attend the meeting on the 7th and the snow school on the 11th as someone who wants to learn.

I am in the process of buying the necessary personal gear and I should have it by the 7th.

I have a car and I can take up to 3 more people.

Last edited by Mehul Suthar on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:02 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested in coming as someone who wants to learn but can also help teach a few things... I don't know how to do crevasse rescue (I'd like to learn), but I can help teach some other snow skills like how to build deadman anchors, how to properly place pickets, how to make a bollard, self arrest, etc. Except for a rope, I have all the necessary gear. I can also drive myself and three others.

Last edited by Oscar Lilienthal on Sat May 03, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:12 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

I will be attending the meeting and would like to go to the outing as well. I would be on the learning side of it and could drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:18 pm 
UW Climber

Post subject: snow school
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:19 pm 
UW Climber

- I am in for the Sunday snow school. Can't make the Wed. class.
- I have 2 pulleys, a glacier rope, + the other usual glacier gear.
- I have a car and can take 3 others.

Last edited by etmeier on Tue May 06, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 pm 
UW Climber

I have a little glacier travel experience, a little avalanche rescue knowledge and no glacier rescue knowledge.

I would like to attend the Wednesday and Sunday meetings to learn something.

I have all the personal gear, except for the prussiks (which I would like to make so could someone tell me exactly how much cordelet I need?) I don’t have any of the team gear and need a ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:10 pm 
Longshanks

I can help out as an instructor at the meeting, but I won't be able to make the trip unfortunately. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:50 am 
UW Climber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:11 am 
Alpine Slogger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 am 
Cap'n Wingspan

Brian, I believe the standard length for your prussiks is as follows: When tied, the longer one should reach from about your ankle/foot to your waist and the shorter from from around your nose to your waist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

I'll be attending the meeting and trip as someone who wants to teach.

I have one pickets and pulley plus the necessary personal gear.

I have a car and can take 3 others.

Last edited by Jim Prager on Mon May 05, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:04 pm 
giving spoon

I'm interested in going and my knowledge bridges between learning and assisting in teaching - I really just need to more practice with what I learned last summer. I'll have to make sure my schedule is clear with the wife - actually I would like to bring her to this so she can learn - she would be a learner. I can make the Wednesday night meeting.

Gear I can supply:
-50m dry rope
-70m dry rope (if we are not going far)
-1x 2' pickett, 1x 3' pickett
-Slings and Biners
-A Petzl UltraLegere pulley (basically a plastic ring that goes on a oval biner and acts as a pulley

I will likely need a ride, if Lisa does not come, but I'm not sure yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:21 pm 
giving spoon

Whoops, ignore my previous post, that is Mother's Day. My time that weekend is fully spoken for.