[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - [normal, non-epic] Hike @ Umtanum Saturday (26 April)

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 pm 
The Pub Czar

dear ladies and germs:

the club calendar says "go hiking on saturday", so we're going hiking on saturday, snow be damned :D

[edit: this trip is on saturday. i said nothing about sunday. brian did not screw up. we have always been at war with Eastasia]

the general idea is for this trip to be an intermediate-minus (or beginner-plus) level hike, as either a warm-up for the (near-mythical) summer hiking season, or as an intro hike for folks in reasonable shape but no/little experience. i guess it depends on who shows up. either way, you get outside, shake some rust off, bitch and moan about how you didn't sleep enough last night, look at some stuff, take photos-- the usual :)

we're currently looking at Umtanum Canyon & Ridge, which is about 2 hours east of here. it's supposed to be pretty this time of year, what with the flowers blooming and spring springing, etc etc (and hopefully the the ticks aren't biting, and the rattlers aren't rattlin'). Should be some good views from the ridge, and a good intro to hiking east of here. Also, it isn't covered with snow.

we'll probably go up the ridge first, getting all the elevation gain out of the way, and then coast along the ridge for awhile before dropping down to the canyon and following it out. easy-peasy, right?

Brian's estimate is 13+ miles RT with 2700' of elevation gain,
(which makes more sense to me as 21km and 830m),
so expect this to take between 6hours and 8h and 20 minutes, at a moderate pace.

if anyone's interested, we can practice some navigation stuff, but that's optional.

(the usual caveats, because i don't know how experienced people are:
absolutely no jeans, and no street/running shoes. i won't let you on the trip with them.
ask to borrow gear if you need to.)

so!

1. are you coming?
2. do you have a car?
2b. how many passengers can you take?
3. how much hiking have you done?
4. do you want to borrow some gear?

given the drive time, and my desire to go get beer saturday night,
i'd like to leave at 6:30 instead of the usual 7:30. however, let's be democratic:
5. do you strongly prefer leaving at 7:30 over 6:30?

any questions, feel free to post here or send me a message.

we'll sort out cars etc friday daytime.

current headcount:
-------------------------------
etmeier (car +3)
kara
paolo
janelle
lia
me (car +3)
eudora welty

maybe:
brian & michelle (car +0?)
dallas (car +0), meet at trailhead

no:
lauren

Last edited by amit tai on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: the trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:52 pm 
UW Climber

i'm game.
i have a vehicle and room for 4 + some junk.
i prefer 7:30. could be talked into 6:30 but will definitely bitch and moan more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:06 pm 
UW Climber

I want to go!!
I need a ride. I've hiked. I have all the gear I need. Umm... how about 7?

Kara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Perhaps it should be also mentioned that the weather forecast for Saturday is mostly sunny with highs in the 60's.

edit: meant Saturday in my original post. :oops:

Last edited by Brian Polagye on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 pm 
The Pub Czar

hrm. ok. what's the forecast for saturday?
(or can you point me at a link so i can keep checking on this?)

i'll add a question as to whether people have a strong preference for the day.
i'm ok with going out in pretty much anything that isn't a thunderstorm, others might disagree...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:35 pm 
UW Climber

Count me in! I have all my own gear. I'll need a ride since I have no car.

I'm OK with either 6:30 or 7:30, but later is always greater :D Are we meeting at the Burke?

Last edited by Lauren Shaw on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:00 pm 
Designated Gaper

I may be interested in a mellow walk in the wildflowers; I was actually thinking it should be about time for them. If I join, I will likely only be transporting myself as I would be coming from Olympia and spending the non-hiking weekend day at my Pop's in Yakima.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Michelle and I may be coming - if we do, we can drive ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:17 pm 
The Pub Czar

to clarify,

this trip is on saturday.
i said nothing about sunday.
brian did not screw up.
we have always been at war with Eastasia.

(i re-un-edited the top post and the thread title, but just making sure)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:06 pm 
Designated Gaper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:31 pm 
UW Climber

I'd love to join as well if still possible.
I got the gear, but alas no car, so I need a ride.. For the departing time I agree with Kara, 7 sounds fair enough... In medio stat virtus... ;)

Ciao,
Paolo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:36 am 
UW Climber

Hey
Im interested, I have all the gear but need a ride. Does someone have room for me??
I really dont mind about what time we leave since Im not driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 am 
UW Climber

I would like to come- this sounds like the perfect April hike :-D I have hiked before and have my own gear (assuming no snow gear). I do not have a car and need a ride if there is still room. I'm happy to leave at 6:30 or whenever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31 am 
The Pub Czar

someone asked:

"when you said absolutely no jeans...what are the best alternatives?"

'best' is pretty relative. you can spend $50-70 on a pair of nylon hiking trousers that are comfy, have pockets, resist abrasion, quick-drying, zip-off legs, etc etc. this will easily last you 5 years, unless you're particularly bad with crampons.

you can spend more than that and get performance stretch fabric softshell blah, which is probably comfier, wind-resistant (most gentlemen learn to appreciate this after their first exposed ridgewalk without windproof bottoms), and so on.

*but*, for starters:
anything that isn't cotton, really.

why?
cotton is nice and cool for when it's warm and dry [so, not the NW] but it has the fantastic property that when it's wet, you lose more heat than if you were not wearing anything at all.

repeat: wet cotton is worse than being naked.
(something along the lines of: cotton is a weave of hollow fibers, but the tubes in the fibers lose their insulation properties when they fill with water, so you just have cold water kept next to your skin, as opposed to your skin, which naturally sheds water). also, it chafes more, and doesn't wick. notice how few serious sports clothes are cotton.

so, for $20, you can go to any sports store and get some cheap-ass nylon tracksuit/running bottom, and that'd be fine, plus you'd own a pair of running pants for cold weather. you could also get fleece pyjama bottoms (though not durable), or rain trousers (not breathable).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:58 pm 
UW Climber