[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Preacher Mountain on Sunday

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:13 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

(strike original thoughts)

Rapid warming is going to occur this weekend as currently forecasted. However, the weather is looking to be nice both Saturday and Sunday. Depending on the final word from the Avalanche Center, the trip may go on Sunday, so long as the avalanche cycle on Saturday is likely to shake out the worst of the slide-prone terrain.

I'm interested in organizing a trip to try to climb Preacher Mtn. up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River. This would be a long day, with approximately 5000' of gain and 10 miles RT distance (comparable to Mt. Pugh). However, the summit area is a walk-up and the snow on the route should not complicate efforts to summit (though route finding lower down might).

This will be a long, fairly strenuous day, though the bulk of the effort will be on those breaking trail. With a large group, this obviously gets easier since there are more people to take turns. I'd like to leave Seattle around 6PM and would guess that we'd be back around 8PM, depending on whether on not we stop for dinner on the way home.

If interested, you will need an ice axe and snowshoes. I, personally, find poles very helpful.

The road in to the trail head is fairly rough. I can drive and take three other people. In the past, I've driven my Integra, so it can be done without a high clearance vehicle.

----MEETING PLACE AND TIME----

To the side of the Burke Museum at 6am SHARP. That lot allows parking on Sundays so if anyone is driving to campus, cars can be left there.

----CONDITIONS UPDATE----

The weather models have oscillated between bringing rain and clouds into the area around noon and holding off until the evening. As such, everyone should have at least a waterproof jacket if we do end up walking out in a bit of precip. NO COTTON. Also, recommend a spare pair of socks in case one of several creek crossings results in a pair of wet feet.

----MASTER LIST----

Car #1:
Brian Polagye
Jim Prager
Aric Christal
(gear from Car #2)

Car #2:
Brian Doehle
Kris Stemmler
Erik Kimble
Craig Weiland

Car #3:
Chris Moorehead
Chris' dogs

Last edited by Brian Polagye on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:22 am 

edit: Also willing to try a shorter, easier trip is someone has one in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:39 am 
Alpine Slogger

I'm most likely in for Preacher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:34 am 
UW Climber

Sign me up too!!! I don't have a car so if I could ride with someonethat would be great!! so this is the trip going on this weekend instead of the hike up Umtanum Ridge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:42 am 

Erik - I think both trips are going to run. Preacher's going to be the burlier of the two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 am 
Mountain Rhombus

I would like to join you. I also could drive if more seats are needed, but I have what I like to call a very low profile vehicle (Honda Fit), but I actually have chains for it if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:30 pm 
UW Climber

Preacher sounds good to me. As Brian said, it looks like a long day, but let's hope the weather looks half-decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:01 pm 
UW Climber

In that case preacher sounds better to me!!! So.. can NE1 take me in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:23 pm 

Preacher may be a no-go due to avalanche danger on Saturday. I'll make a final decision on Thursday or Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm 

Weather is looking good both days now, so if the trip goes, it will be on SUNDAY, not Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:03 pm 
UW Climber

I'd like to go assuming it's Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:34 am 
Mountain Rhombus

I'm still in if its sunday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:44 am 
UW Climber

I wont be able to make it if its on Sunday. Maybe next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:27 am 
giving spoon

I'm interested in going, but I don't have my doggie sitter available this weekend... so I am going to test the waters on this one. Would anyone have any objections to having four legged companions? Please PM me if you have ANY objection to this whatsoever - I will not be offended. I was already looking at possibly doing a solo trip this weekend, so it is not a big deal.

That being said I would be keeping them on leashes as conditions dictate (ie until they are calm, approaching other hikers, or if anyone is not comfortable with them).

I would also keep them on leash at any breaks to make sure they don't try to mooch off other people's food.

I have my own vehicle, but I would be driving up on my own as running by the UW would be out of my way for this trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:32 pm 
Alpine Slogger

I'm still in for Sunday. I personally like hiking with dogs and have no objections to them tagging along or mooching for food.