Hey everyone! We hope that you’ve had an excellent break and a chance to relax after the stress of last quarters final exams.
We are going to have to hit the ground running in the next couple of weeks, as the final draft for our grant to the Campus Sustainability Fund is due this coming January 24th!
To kick things off we will have our first meeting of the quarter be this coming Wednesday, January 8th at 3:30pm in Allen Research Commons Room Red C.
Note that we will probably change the rooms as we settle on a permanent time for us to meet; that being said we hope that most of you are able to make it at this time and are able to get involved this quarter! We have had some very positive feedback from CSF so far and we hope that by the end of this quarter we will finally be able to begin construction of the facility!
Thanks again, and we hope to see you all this coming Wednesday!
Several great developments have occurred over the past week. Here are the updates for the various teams:
– The Engineering/Tech team has scheduled a tour of the General Biodiesel facility for Wednesday November 20th, at 5:30PM. However, we will need to leave campus no later than 5PM. We will have several vehicles to help transfer students. If you would like to attend, you must RSVP Lauren, but space is limited so please keep this in mind. Hope to see some of you guys there!
– The Outreach team has completed a contract with HFS that outlines how we will collect the oil from their campus restaurants in the foreseeable future. All that is left is for us to sit down with HFS and have them approve the contract and we will be ready to collect oil once our facility is completed.
– The Business Plan team is exploring alternative options for a new business model to approach the EIC with, primarily looking at establishing a platform website where an individual can get a new biodiesel facility set up with our expertise.
– The Fundraising team is working on a new budget for the shipping container and the lab equipment that we will need for when we apply to the CSF grant. They are working closely with the Engineering team to ensure that the equipment is still relevant and that the proposal will cover our needs for the first year or so of operation.
That’s all for now! There will be no school this Monday in honor of Veterans Day, and therefore the normally scheduled Outreach and Business Plan meetings will be either cancelled for the week or rescheduled to a different day (if they are rescheduled the respective leads of the teams will let you know). Thanks for all of the effort that everyone has put in this past week!
Hello everyone, here are the updates for the Cooperative over the past week:
– On Monday, the Business Plan team held a meeting discussing further the opportunities for building a plan centered around the design of a shipping container into a full-fledged biodiesel production facility. Although there are some companies around that already do this, we are sticking with the idea in that it is something we can use the experience for since we will be spending a large amount of time over the next several months designing the lab space anyway. They are currently looking into ways of developing a 3D computer model that will function as an interactive prototype for the EIC competition.
– On Monday, the Outreach team met to discuss further our contract with HFS regarding the collection of waste cooking oil from the dorm restaurants. They are also looking into contacting other schools and colleges that we could present to about the technology behind biodiesel.
– On Wednesday, the Engineering/Tech team held their first meeting. For now, members in that group will start to educate themselves more about the process behind making biodiesel and decide which aspect of the process interests them the most. Also, this team is planning a field trip to tour the General Biodiesel plant in SoDo sometime over the next couple weeks.
That’s all for now! We are also in the process of putting together a budget but need more information from UW officials before we can start working on it. As always, check the calender to see what times the various groups will be meeting next week, and don’t hesitate to contact myself or the other officers if you have any questions.
Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Hello everyone! This is Rowdy here to give you all the rundown on what happened this past week:
– On Monday, the first Outreach and Business Plan meetings were held. The Outreach team is currently developing a new contract between the Coop and Housing and Food Services that outlines the details of the collection of the waste cooking oil over the next several years. The Business Plan team is brainstorming the approach towards the Environmental Innovation Challenge this year. The angle that we have decided on will be a company that manufactures shipping containers that are safe and within city code to produce biodiesel.
– Also on Monday, Tami and Lauren talked with the Campus Sustainability Fund. Our plan is to apply for the grant this year after we have put together a solid budget for the outfitted labspace.
– On Tuesday, Raustin pitched the Business Plan idea to the EIC Practicum class and it was accepted. This means that for the remainder of Fall quarter a group of students in that class will put together a business plan centered around the shipping container design idea.
– On Wednesday, we made a presence at the Sustainability Summit, and at the CSF poster session. Overall reaction was positive and it was good to see so many people supportive of our common goal in producing local fuel for the campus community.
Next week will be a busy one, please check our calender on a continual basis for updates on group meetings next week. Also, if you have not already done so, make sure to like us on Facebook.
Thanks and have a great weekend!
Hello everyone! Welcome back to all returning for the new school year.
We held our first general meeting last week and it was very successful, thanks to all those who were able to attend!
Our general weekly meetings this quarter will be held in Bloedel Hall Room 292 at 1:30PM on Fridays. Meeting times vary but usually last around an hour. If you are unable to make this time, we will be continually updating our calendar with the weekly (or bi-weekly) meeting times of the various subsections of the Coop. These sections include:
– Engineering/Technical (Lead: Lauren Alexander)
– Outreach (Community and University) (Lead: Sean Lorimor)
– Web Design (Lead: Rowdy Roddick)
– Funding and Grant Writing (Lead: Tami McTaggart)
– Business Plan and Competitions (Lead: Raustin Memon)
If you are interested in joining any of these teams, or would like more information as to what they are about, please contact the current respective leads of each team (contact info can be found in the Officers/Contact tab at the top of this page). These leadership positions are for the moment temporary, and like the groups themselves could change as the year progresses (some of us officers are graduating at the end of the academic year and would like some new blood to take over our leadership positions for the future). We will be sure to update via our website as these changes occur so stay tuned for further details.
That’s all for now! We hope that you are all as excited as we are for the future of this organization. Any major questions you may have about how to get involved, please feel free to contact any of us and we will be happy to respond.