In case you missed having lunch with Betsy Wilson, here is the recap of some great advice that she had for MLIS students:
- [On getting involved with professional organizations] Find something you’re interested in and volunteer, volunteer, and volunteer! Attend committee meetings, be persistent, and reach out to people — this helps build skills and professional connections.
- Important skills/knowledge to develop…..
- the ability to assess user needs
- an understanding of “anything digital” — including digital publications, data life-cycles, how to bring technology to users, information policy, and open access
- professional and personal values and principles — these will help drive how you thrive (or not thrive) once you’re in a position
- Get out and talk to people; the library community is a small world.
- Be ready and able to articulate what you do and what value you bring to society.
- Know your story and how to share it.
- Stay open to all opportunities; you can’t predict what might come your way!
Thanks for participating and for those that missed it this time, there’s always next year!!